Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thors1982

Newbie Game Program need help

Hey, I know the C++ basics, pointers, arrays, structures, functions, and classes. I wanted to know where I should go now. Should I learn the Visual portion and work on windows menus stuff like that or try to learn Direct X. I really am clueless. I know my C++ though I have made my own linked list and used it in a number of programs. I just have no clue where to go from here. I just want to know the best direction to go to learn how to program games. Thanks

Yeah, I agree. Learning a graphics and sound API are the first things that you need to make games. OpenGL is my prefered graphics API, and you can use FMOD or OpenAL with that for sound. DirectX is the Microsoft equivalent, but is perhaps a tad more complicated than OpenGL to learn. DirectX contains a graphics API and a sound API in one (and other API''s as well, eg networking, but they are not that important at the moment). You can mix and match OpenGL and DirectX also if you wish. For information about OpenGL and DirectX go to the FAQ section, don''t ask people here, or risk your thread getting closed.

- Weasalmongler