Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

billybob

texture compression?

right now, i''m using createTextureFromFile, and i would like to use compressed textures. would using compressed textures mean that i would get the same performance with a say, 256x256 compressed texture vs a 128x128 uncompressed?

You''re always just one step ahead of me aren''t you! Check the SDK app called DirectX Texture Tool in DirectX Utilities, it''ll convert between different formats and tell you the size of the texture.
Remember not all cards support compressed textures though. (Anyone know what chipsets do/don''t?)

Read about my game, project #1

NEW: see my progress from last week - join the mailing list to get this and other updates every week!

John 3:16

quote:
Original post by d000hg
You''re always just one step ahead of me aren''t you! Check the SDK app called DirectX Texture Tool in DirectX Utilities, it''ll convert between different formats and tell you the size of the texture.
Remember not all cards support compressed textures though. (Anyone know what chipsets do/don''t?)

lol, i wouldn''t say that. you may be going slower, but i bet you your code is a whole lot better than my crappy stuff. scru texture compression for now, i''ll do that after i get all this junk working.

quote:
Original post by d000hg

Pretty much all the new ones do. It''s not difficult to write your own decompressor if it doesn''t. S3TC/DXTC is a very clever format

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.