Path to Game Development

Started by
6 comments, last by VC6Programmer 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi, is there anyone who would be able to reccomend any books or resources that I should learn to become a game programmer. I would describe my self as a confident c++ programmer who is familiar with a wide variety of topics and is aiming to learn directx 8 and other major graphic technologies, i.e opengl. I would need resources that are not math intensive as I am 14 and have not left secondary school yet, and therefore have not done complex subjects such as calculus, trigonometry etc which, I have seen to be commonly incorporated in books. Although this may be a problem I feel I could learn these topics if the author describes topics well. I would like a book that has a multide of examples with accompnying theory as I am not a programmer who learns easily from just theory. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Danny
Advertisement
It amazes me that nobody has answered to your post yet! If you haven´t learned DirectX yet, I´d recommend you to buy Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, altough it´s a little bit dated (it covers DX 6.1), it´s a great start for game programming and it is full of examples and a complete game in the last chapter. I haven´t learned OpenGL yet, but I think that OpenGL Game Programming (written by the founders of this website) is the best book out there. However, since it´s 3D and you said you didn´t want any math intensive material, you´d want to wait for a while. Hope this helps!
quote:Original post by Ignacio Liverotti
It amazes me that nobody has answered to your post yet!

I second that
Anyway, you said you didn''t want to be dealing with nasty math equations, so I''d suggest you to make 2D games, not 3D.
3D games requires some nasty equations, formulas, blah blah blah (you know).

My compiler generates one error message: "Doesn''t compile."
-Albert Tedja-
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Thankyou Ignacio for your reply, it was very helpful. I have heard that ''Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus'' is a good book from reviews etc and your comments have greatly added to my thoughts on getting the book. Coincidently the second book you mentioned has been on my wishlist for some time now, but what s stopped me is the reviews commonly menthioning mistakes in the book, did u notice this? If so and u feel it wasnt a bit problem, please tell me and I will most likely get the book as it was that factor that was holding me back.

Thankyou for your time,
Danny
I have "OpenGL Game Programming" and is absolutely brilliant, the only mistake I''ve found so far is on page 164 (check the cross-product code) but common sense should put you right, I''m only half way through the book, just about at the first heightfield terrain example, and I''ve learned loads. Go buy it.

- CheeseMonger
- CheeseMonger
THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU.. That has made my day! I been waiting ages for someone to say that. I was under the impression that the book was full of mistakes. Thanks, also cud u please give me an overview of what it teaches? Thanks

Danny.
Chapter headings:

Section 1: Using OGL

Using GL with Windows
3D Graphics Theory
States and primitives
Transformations and matrices
Blending and lighting
Bitmaps/Images/2D
Texture mapping
Adv Texture mapping
Display lists/vertex arrays
Text
Buffers
Quadrics
Curves and surfaces
Special Effects

Section 2: Building a game

Direct Input
Direct Sound
3D models
Physics
Building a game

- CheeseMonger
- CheeseMonger
Thankyou, thats exactly what I had been looking for, thanks 4 your time.

Danny

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement