Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reflection on water

This topic is 5650 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hy, I''m using directX to render water with a grid of vertex that can be deformed. To make it quite realistic I first apply a global blue texture and add a caustic to simulate light, for now that''s not to hard. There''s my problem : objects should reflect on my water when looking at them but without using raytracing because that''s not good for 3d real time. Here is a nice picture that shows exactly what I wanna do : http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiche_screenshots.html?cmedia=ME0000086260 Well, does anyone know how it can be done ? ( only reflection, I don''t care about its later deformation )

It basically works like normal geometric reflections, with the slight difference that you render to a texture (and don''t need a stencil buffer).

* render your reflected scene (upside down, flipped around the plane of the water) into a texture. Make sure the geometry is clipped, and invert the culling direction.

* When rendering your water surface: activate the texture created earlier (with the upside down scene) and use projective texturing to map it onto the water. Choose a nice blending mode for the texture, mix it with the water colour. That would give you basic (undistorted) reflections.

* There are several methods to get the distortions, and advanced effects such as EMBM, Fresnel or refractions. This thread has some more info about that.

/ Yann