Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drath

Q3 BSP code optimision

I''m a newbie to C++/DX (5 days so far!) so theres a few things I''m missing on. I converted a program from the texture source that comes from the DX SDK to load a text version of a BSP file (I made a program that takes only the face and vertex lumps from the file and builds it into an ASCII file). To render it I made two structures: typedef struct tagPNT { float px, py, pz; float u1, v1, u2, v2; float nx, ny, nz; unsigned char r, g, b, a; } PNT; typedef struct tagPOLYGON { int texidx, type, vtxpos, numvtx; D3DVERTEX PlyVtxF[16]; D3DVERTEX PlyVtxB[16]; // used to show both sides. I belive the back sides are true because OGL renders polygons the other way round. } POLYGON; I firstly load all ther verticies into a PNT array then I build the POLYGON''s and take the values from the PNT''s. I render them by going through the true number of polygons and making a fan primitive. My first problem is that I have to predefine a max number of PNT''s, POLYGON''s and D3DVERTEX''s with a const like this: const DWORD MAXVTX = 14000; PNT pnt[MAXVTX]; const DWORD MAXPLG = 2500; POLYGON plg[MAXPLG]; I have a value I load from a file but I cannot use it because it isn''t a constant. How do I fix this? (I only use faces of type 1) My next problem is more of a question. What is the best way to cull the polygons? Do I need to check if they are facing the camera or is it already built in (I know the formula). What other ways can I add? Finally, I currently use just a single texture for the whole lot because DX only nativly supports bmp''s and one other thing while the textures are jpg''s and tga''s. Does anyone know of some source or algorithm that I could use? Thanks...

quote:

My first problem is that I have to predefine a max number of PNT''s, POLYGON''s and D3DVERTEX''s with a const like this:
const DWORD MAXVTX = 14000;
PNT pnt[MAXVTX];
const DWORD MAXPLG = 2500;
POLYGON plg[MAXPLG];
I have a value I load from a file but I cannot use it because it isn''t a constant. How do I fix this? (I only use faces of type 1)

You need to new the array and delete it manually. eg

// Creation

PNT* pnt = new PNT[number];

// Make sure you delete the memory when you don''t need it!!!

delete[] PNT;

quote:

My next problem is more of a question. What is the best way to cull the polygons? Do I need to check if they are facing the camera or is it already built in (I know the formula). What other ways can I add?

Direct3D does back-face culling for you automatically (assuming you haven''t overrriden that renderstate) based on the order you specify your vertices in your triangles (clockwise or counter clockwise). You might want to consider doing frustrum culling (do a search) for a start to reduce the number of primitives you draw. After that you might want to look into occlusion culling.

quote:

Finally, I currently use just a single texture for the whole lot because DX only nativly supports bmp''s and one other thing while the textures are jpg''s and tga''s. Does anyone know of some source or algorithm that I could use?

You can use D3DXCreateTextureFromFile to create textures from files containing images of the following formats:

.bmp, .dds, .dib, .jpg, .png, and .tga

Hope this helps,

Rory.

Thanks a lot!
I rebuilt my base. I was using the source from the texture tutorial and now I am using a source from the D3DX examples. This works out a lot better and I am using a vertex buffer for all the points and a list of polygons that show which points are rendered.