repeating landscapes

Started by
4 comments, last by d000hg 21 years, 8 months ago
Still can''t figure out how I''d make my terain repeat when you got to the edge. I guess a simple version could be done, but how do I persuade the camera system to choose to draw something which is patently not in view cause it''s on the other side of the map? Also, how to make a quadtree deal with this? As a final thought, if you zoomed out so you could see all four edges of the map, wouldn''t it start tiling the entire map? Read about my game, project #1 NEW: see my progress from last week - join the mailing list to get this and other updates every week! John 3:16
Advertisement
if its like mine, i would set the translation matrix to the edge and draw it again. then when you reached the edge, it would take you and put you on the opposite side, and try to make it not look like you ''snapped'' anywhere.
That actually seems a pretty neat idea, should be quite easy to fool the camera too I think. Anyone else agree?

Read about my game, project #1

NEW: see my progress from last week - join the mailing list to get this and other updates every week!

John 3:16
how are you handling the collision for your terrain?! i cannot figure this out
Don''t know yet! You could just look at the heights of the vertices - easy tofind vertices nearest any point with a regular heightmap. Or you''ll probably want to use a ray triangle intersection test. Search the forums or google or wherever to know about it.

Read about my game, project #1

NEW: see my progress from last week - join the mailing list to get this and other updates every week!

John 3:16
i got the collision working, thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement