Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buzz12586

Direct X vs. Open GL for newbies

Here we go again... Maybe there should be a notice about these kind of threads on the main page of the forum, as well as in the FAQ.

To answer your question, just read That Article Erluk linked to. There''s very little point in asking peoples'' opinions on this particular topic - you''ll have to make up your own mind.

one of the biggest differences is directx will only work under windows.

speaking as a recent ex-newbie, i recommend doing some simple programs in both (spinning wireframes etc) just to get a feel for it.

opengl calls are quicker and there are no COM woes but i went for directx ONLY because im using directx sound and input aswell

Using OpenGL with SDL, can greatly reduce initialization code, and help you get some things done, so you dont get bogged down with setting up the windows, setting the resolution etc.

At the same time its gives you input/sound/timer and a few more things, all within an easy to use framework.

I also started with DirectX, figured it was too much trouble, and besides i liked the portability offered by OpenGL.

"I just wanted input from other people, not from THE ARTICLE. I read THE ARTICLE to get the basic information!!! I like to hear other people''s opinions too."

buzz12586

You are right, definitly right.
What''s the point to tell a beginner , well "opengl is a state machine " while direct x is a COM based API ...bla..bla..
...please read the article( by the way it is an excellent article ) and do not bother us any more...

It is other people''s experience that really matters.

my experience

I got started with direct x ...I wasted two years, then I switched to opengl , in 3-4 months time I was able to design simple 3d demos, ok my previous experience with direct x was not probably completely useless but you can draw your own conlusion, which API is better for a newby
To be honest with you I tried to learn direct x 6.0, direct x 8.0 should be easier thanks to common files.

other people experience

I would suggest to read the the customer rewiews on Amazon about direct x and opengl books, then again draw your own conclusion.
Attention, if you come across a 4 or 5 stars review for a direct x book, please read also the "table of content"....

p.s.
just to help you , there are high reputed direct x books and authors, who need 800 pages to explain 2d games only

you could use SDL to make 2D games first.
Basically, you can do the same things with SDL as you
can with DX. (the windows version of SDL actually uses DX).
The initialization stuff is much simpler, and chances you
become crazy are much lower than with DX.

SDL offers:
graphics, sound, input, mthreading, precision timers
did I forget something?
Well, network support is not included in "native SDL",
but there's a SDL network lib, free, of course.

and, if you get to 3D some day, you could then use
OpenGL together with SDL.

BTW: is it allowed to make money with software that uses SDL ?

[edited by - UnshavenBastard on July 30, 2002 5:01:22 PM]

You shouldn''t let an API limit you. An API is only a connection to the hardware. Whether you choose OGL or DX, the graphics concepts are still the same to implement and you code will be the one processing the game, not the api.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

Good Idea: Learn a little of both, and make your decision based on that.
Bad Idea: Listen to what other people say, and think their opinion is the best, following it without knowing what you may have missed.

Oh, and by the way, DirectX rules!

------------------------------
BASIC programmers don''t die, they just GOSUB and don''t return.

quote:
Original post by AlbertoT
What''s the point to tell a beginner , well "opengl is a state machine " while direct x is a COM based API ...bla..bla..
...please read the article( by the way it is an excellent article ) and do not bother us any more...

It is other people''s experience that really matters.

(This reply is not aimed at AlbertoT, but does address his points.)

The problems are:

1) There are hundreds of ''other people''s experiences'' all over this forum. Use a search before you ask a question, because it''s quite likely many opinions have been posted already. Especially on this subject.

2) This subject is very prone to flame wars, because it manages to span Windows vs. platform independence, C vs. C++, state machines vs objects, and a few other Paradigm 1 vs Paradigm 2 choices. So we try and keep these discussions to a minimum as they tend to turn into religious battles where people try to convince their way is the One True way.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

Thanx everybody for their input. I have a book on Direct X (Windows game programming for dummies) and I am working my hardest to understand the Direct X stuff in it. I think I am just impatient. I WANT RESULTS NOW!!!!!!!! I just need to be patient and learn.

Thanx everyone

quote:
Original post by Kylotan
1) There are hundreds of ''other people''s experiences'' all over this forum. Use a search before you ask a question, because it''s quite likely many opinions have been posted already. Especially on this subject.

The problem with searching the forums with "directx vs opengl" is that it will yield a lot of threads that say "do a search, dumbass!" ... kinda a visious circle, that. And as the search thingy doesnt show the number of replies to a topic, its impossible to tell which are the informative threads and which are not.

Anyway, back on track. I second SDL. Espicially useful if you want things up and running with minimal fuss.

quote:
BTW: is it allowed to make money with software that uses SDL ?

It most definetly is, havent you noticed that Loki sells the linux ports it makes Anyway SDL is under the LGPL i believe, meaning that you just have to distribute the source of the game, or at least make it available.(and no this doesnt mean its free, no one says you have to make all the sound / scripts / graphics / other files available too, only the source itself)

Personally I started with OpenGL because it was a lot easier to find an informative site with great tutorials (nehe.gamedev.net is where I started, it''s great and explains EVERYTHING). I don''t really care about multi-platform support because I''m going to be using DirectSound and DirectInput, but I just generally find OpenGL to be a lot easier.

You might want to try CDX if you want to start out doing 2D. It''s a great 2D wrapper class for DX7. Once you get the hang of that, dive into the source for the lib and try to understand it. That will definately give you a feel of DX (version 7 at least, 8 if a whole different ball of wax).

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.