• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buzz12586

Direct X vs. Open GL for newbies

This topic is 5827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having a really hard time using Direct X and I am wondering if Open GL is any better for newbies. Thanx. p.s. I am talking about 2D games for now..

Advertisement
It can''t hurt to give it a shot, can it? The worst that will happen is that you''ll end up wasting a little time, the best could be that you find a more suitable API for yourself.

You might as well have a look.

Here we go again... Maybe there should be a notice about these kind of threads on the main page of the forum, as well as in the FAQ.

To answer your question, just read That Article Erluk linked to. There''s very little point in asking peoples'' opinions on this particular topic - you''ll have to make up your own mind.

one of the biggest differences is directx will only work under windows.

speaking as a recent ex-newbie, i recommend doing some simple programs in both (spinning wireframes etc) just to get a feel for it.

opengl calls are quicker and there are no COM woes but i went for directx ONLY because im using directx sound and input aswell

Using OpenGL with SDL, can greatly reduce initialization code, and help you get some things done, so you dont get bogged down with setting up the windows, setting the resolution etc.

At the same time its gives you input/sound/timer and a few more things, all within an easy to use framework.

I also started with DirectX, figured it was too much trouble, and besides i liked the portability offered by OpenGL.

I`ve never had much use for portability (do I konw Linux users? ) so I started with DirectX. I have had a look at OpenGL more than once but I`m still stuck with DX.

Im Anfang war die Tat...
Faust

I just wanted input from other people, not from THE ARTICLE. I read THE ARTICLE to get the basic information!!! I like to hear other people''s opinions too.

"I just wanted input from other people, not from THE ARTICLE. I read THE ARTICLE to get the basic information!!! I like to hear other people''s opinions too."

buzz12586

You are right, definitly right.
What''s the point to tell a beginner , well "opengl is a state machine " while direct x is a COM based API ...bla..bla..
...please read the article( by the way it is an excellent article ) and do not bother us any more...

It is other people''s experience that really matters.

my experience

I got started with direct x ...I wasted two years, then I switched to opengl , in 3-4 months time I was able to design simple 3d demos, ok my previous experience with direct x was not probably completely useless but you can draw your own conlusion, which API is better for a newby
To be honest with you I tried to learn direct x 6.0, direct x 8.0 should be easier thanks to common files.

other people experience

I would suggest to read the the customer rewiews on Amazon about direct x and opengl books, then again draw your own conclusion.
Attention, if you come across a 4 or 5 stars review for a direct x book, please read also the "table of content"....

p.s.
just to help you , there are high reputed direct x books and authors, who need 800 pages to explain 2d games only

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!