Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GzmZhen

DirectInput or ... The way windows handles it?

Alright, I really need some advice... I''m programming a game engine, for a huge project that I''m going to be doing for school this year. I wanted to leave the direct x sdk out of it, but it seems like it might be worth it... Does anyone know the differences between the two, and why I should choose one over the other? I thank you in advance Nathan

This is reffering to using Direct Input (mouse and keyboard) as opposed to using the way Windows handles the messages to the program...

The main reason I haven''t chosen to do Direct Input yet is because I''m not too sure how to map the input (e.g. put in order what keys were hit...)

Nathan

the main problem with using generic windows messaging is that when the cpu is under a lot of stress, messages will be delayed, upto and over 20seconds. Which doesn''t make for very responsive gameplay. You can avoid this by using other windows functions, like getAsynKeyState, and getMousePOs (or whatever they are), I''m not too sure about mouse buttons/wheel though.