• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solstice

Tree deallocation

This topic is 5804 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For my project I wrote an STL like tree class. The class is a template that manages a tree of node classes that contain template type T. This tree class also, does not have an allocator field in it''s template params. Here''s my problem. My class T is a base class for several different subclasses. The tree only takes instances as opposed to pointers of type T. Now -- if my thinking is right -- when I insert a new instance into the tree, it''s busted down to the base class T via the copy operator. The only solution I find is to make the tree use pointers of T instead of instances. Then there''s another problem. Deallocation. Although all the node classes go through a recusive delete to delete themselves, their contained T relies on being deleted along with the class on the stack. So to pass a pointer as a template param to the tree would result in a memory leak... In my project I have since subclassed the tree template passing T as a class called Entity. I really did this just so the doxygen docs would look cleaner, but I may be able to solve all of this mess. If I make this tree subclass init with T = Entity*, I could use it''s descructor to deallocate the Entities. But how did I write such an algorithm without using the same recusive node delete I''ve used before? Here''s the tree code: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/chroma/chroma/XML/tree.h?rev=1.1 -Solstice deninet.com aeris.deninet.com "...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."

Advertisement
quote:

So to pass a pointer as a template param to the tree would result in a memory leak...

It is the users responsibility to deallocate the memory pointed at in this case, or to use smart pointers.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!