Is Good Cel-Shading Possible using DirectX 7?

Started by
7 comments, last by Ivyn 21 years, 1 month ago
Is Good Cel-Shading Possible using DirectX 7 ? By ''Good'' I mean something that at looks at least as good as the upcoming Zelda for GC, Jet Set Radio Future, or any of the numerous cel shaded games floating around recently.
-- Ivyn --
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/celshading/

The OpenGL verson uses a technique that looks pretty good, and would be easy to port to DirectX...

Yeah, I got it working in DX 8 but I don''t use any specific DX 8 features. Checkout my site. BTW, it can look as good as you program it to, but the performance is the problem. Without shaders or some kind of hardware acceleration, the performance is pathetic in a real game. Checkout the game I have on there too (Cowboy Bebop) if you have the bandwidth.

"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - Shakespeare

Dirge - Aurelio Reis
www.CodeFortress.com
Current Causes:
Nissan sues Nissan
"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies."www.CodeFortress.com
Off topic - Dirge, I read that you went to fullsail...has it helped you get any jobs? I was all set to go..loans approved and everything, only needed to sign, but I backed out at the last minute...had a bad feeling about it.
No game industry job yet and been almost 6 months (one 1 person in my class has industry job as a gameboy programmer, heh). Great school but not for everyone. I reccomend normal university.

"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - Shakespeare

Dirge - Aurelio Reis
www.CodeFortress.com
Current Causes:
Nissan sues Nissan
"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies."www.CodeFortress.com
I''ve tried it using DirectX 7 and it works fine.
I wasn''t able to draw proper outlines though.
Yea Hai...
I know... that outline problem of cell shading really gets me down... I''ll try to find a way around... and will let you know I when I do...
Muj,
There is a very cheap and cheesy way to make outlines... it''s geometry-based, and that PC cell shaded FPS, "XIII" or something, and also Bomberman Online on the Dreamcast, uses it.

Either in the 3D modelling package, or done by code: duplicate your model, "inflate" it (move the vertices outwards the model along the average normals, so the copy will "wrap" the original model), flip it''s normals, then paint it black.

Done, cheesy geometry-based outlines, without requring any special routine in the hardware.
Even Jet Set Radio Future uses that cheap method (probably done in a vertex shader to avoid having two copied of the model lying around), and it looks really great...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement