[java] Open GL in Java

Started by
4 comments, last by Xsist10 21 years, 8 months ago
Right.... I''ve just started on Java (been programming C++, Delphi with OpenGL and SDL etc for ages). Now it''s java''s turn. I''ve been looking for the files to be able to use OpenGL in Java. So far I''ve come up with is GL4Java and Java3D. Now I need to know a few things : 1) GL4Java only works in Netscape right in Windows (bugger)? 2) Where can I find and download Java3D (and is it DirectX or OpenGL)?
I burn cold
Advertisement
Hi!

java3d is available at http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/

McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
... and Java3D comes with implementations for OpenGL and DirectX.
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
quote:Original post by McMcDonald
... and Java3D comes with implementations for OpenGL and DirectX.

Make sure you get the OpenGL version as it''s more optimised and is more stable. See here for a little detail.
gl4java will run under any of the java2 plug-ins ( java 1.3.1 1.4.0 ) under netscape, ie, mozilla, galeon, .... gl4java will also run on linux and theoreticly under MAC ( 9 and OSX ).
Just to clarify, java3d is a scenegraph api sitting on top of opengl. You don''t actually make any opengl calls on your own.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement