Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zealot

Special Effects

I have a few questions concerning special effects: 1. I never really understood those shadowing tutorials, so I thought up this idea on how to create shadows (if you use animations, then this method [assuming it works] would allow deformable shadows, depending on the model''s state): Render the object to cast shadows Render it again, but multiple times (sorta like this -) [- is the object, and ) shows the multiple renderings]) into the stencil buffer Draw the objects to be shadowed upon Draw the objects to be shadowed upon again, but limited by the stencil buffer, and depth test GL_EQUAL, and modified by glColor3f(R, G, B) to make it darker, and possibly add some blending I just wanted to know if this has any chance of working, and if it does, will it be able to at a reasonable speed? 2. Does fog work better if you specify normals? I added fog to a scene, but it do much, but I didn''t specify normals. 3. What does GL_AUTO_NORMAL do? 4. How do you make realistic smoke and fire without a serious drain on the cpu? I thought you might be able to use the stencil buffer and fog for smoke, but I realized that probably wouldn''t work well. 5. Does GL_EQUAL display pixels only if another pixel was already there? If this is true, then does the last pixel get preference or something? 6. Lastly, does light attenuation drain the cpu a lot? Sorry if it was a bit difficult to understand... En taro Adun! Doom to all who threaten the homeworld! *Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*

Sorry about the multiple post, stopped it at the last second to change something and it posted it twice!

En taro Adun!
Doom to all who threaten the homeworld!
*Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*