• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinslayer

Tracking bandwidth use

This topic is 5832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to find out the exact size of a UDP packet header to be able to track precisely how much bandwidth my network subsystem is using. I''m sorely lacking a reference book, but searching on the Internet has only turned up one page which reported the UDP packet header size as 28 (20 for IP, 8 for UDP header). Other than that, I''ve found a plethora of sites which ignore the IP component of the UDP packet header, reporting it to be just 8 bytes in size (clearly insufficient). Can someone please confirm the UDP packet header size? Is there an easier way of tracking bandwidth use than keeping a running total of the size of all the packets transmitted?

Advertisement
My docs here say 20 bytes, or 23 bytes plus 1 byte padding.

Version: 4 bits
Header length: 4 bits
Service type: 8 bits
Total length: 16 bits
Identification: 16 bits
Flags: 3 bits
Fragment offset: 13 bits
Time To Live: 8 bits
Type: 8 bits
Header checksum: 16 bits
Source IP address: 32 bits
Destination IP address: 32 bits (total so far, 20 bytes)
IP options (optional): 24 bits
Padding (if IP options are used): 8 bits. ( new total, 24 bytes)

Please, if this is wrong, someone point out more authoritative documentation, as I''d like to correct my notes too.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

Kylotan, you are including only the IP header (which is as you pointed out, 20 bytes). IP header + UDP header is 28 bytes total (the original question).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!