Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

llvllatrix

Try out my Water demo

You can get it here: http://members.rogers.com/ramrajb/Downloads/Island.zip See if u can guess what music is playing You need DirectX to run it, and u use the up, down, left, right key pad or the mouse and mouse wheel to move. To end it just press Esc. It is also a bit cpu intensive so watch out. Post ur fps if u have the time. I want to make sure it runs on as many computers as possible. If u find any problems or have any questions/ suggustions/ requests, just post em. Right now im working on adding reflection and refraction to the demo and ill try to fix all problems asap. O, and feel free to use any of my models or textures. A bit of credit would be nice but not necessary (its not like ill hunt u down...ill find someone else to do it for me ). Big thanks to Daher, his engine got me going on this demo, and those are his skybox textures.

I downloaded...

When i tried it out it took about 20 seconds to load. Then after it loaded it went at about 10 frames a second and i don''t think it loooked like it was suppost to everything was flat with a couple blue lines moving all over. The sound wokred fine. I took a look at your .log file and everything loaded alright. Not sure whats wrong..

sorry

I like it, I got 33fps on a P4 1.8 with GF3.
But you have to work on the controls. We can''t move around freely, I find it unnatural.

----------------
Blaster
Computer game programmer and part time human being
Strategy First - http://www.strategyfirst.com
BlasterSoft - http://www.blastersoft.com

I agree with Blaster, the movement is a little awkward, especially the jumps made with a mouse wheel. Other than that, it looks pretty neat.

It was hard to tell how many FPS I got, somewhere in between 100 and 300. I''m running it on an AthlonXP 2100+ with a GeForce4 Ti4600.

Elijah

20 fps on Athlon T-bird 1200, GF2 GTS. The animation and controls were really jerky. I don't think the water was how you intended either after looking at your textures. All I saw was moving sand texture and blue at the horizon with blue streaks across the floor every so often.

Same problem as GimpMaster I think.

On the up side, the sound worked great.

Oh well.

EDIT: Just thought of something. Do you use a feature exlusive to GF3 of higher cards? I don't know what card GimpMaster has, but everyone else doesn't get probs BUT has higher than GF2 cards.

- CheeseMonger

[edited by - CheeseMonger on July 30, 2002 9:04:37 PM]

As i said, i am still working on reflection and refraction. The texturing on the water is really rough. Im just making sure the program works ok before i start doing the complicated stuff. I''ll be using the accumulation buffer (or trying to) so it should work on all machines (all fast machines ).

Well, on my machine there are really quite horrible blending artifacts in the distance. Whether this is because of a fallback from an unsupported feature I don''t know, but it certainly looks nothing like water. The actual movements look pretty good though.

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

Thanks for the positive response

I updated the demo. Get it at the same place(http://members.rogers.com/ramrajb/Downloads/Island.zip
). You wont be disapointed.

It''s not quite reflection/refraction. That im still working on.

Very nice i like the water ripples though you could make them more pronounced. How long did it take you to learn OpenGL and do something like that?

i think (please correct me if i am wrong) that you are using some feature supported by gf3 or higher... (seeing the fps stuff)

what you need to do is check whether the card using on the machine supports the feature, if not, use some other "usual/main" routine that might look less good but still runs high fps at those cards...

just a piece of advice tho

GreetZ