Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

doctorsixstring

Non-tiled wargame map

Earlier today, Dauntless brought up a new game in one of his posts, called "Airborne Assault: Red Devils Over Arnhem". Here is the games website: Airborne Assault: Red Devils Over Arnhem I downloaded the demo and noticed how the game terrain is not rendered via square or hex tiles. It seems to be made up of hundreds of textured, joined polygons. I had thoughts (quite heavy, ambitious thoughts, no less) to make a global strategy game with a map much like that found in Airborne Assault . I looked around on the web and on this forum, but I couldn''t find any info on how to create/store/render such a map. My first thought was to make a flat, polygonal model in a 3D modelling program, and import the file into Direct3D. However, Airborne Assault doesn''t seem to use Direct3D/OpenGL (although it might...), but rather a simpler 2D API (DirectDraw?) I could be wrong, and I''m really not even sure where to start looking for info/articles/threads on this topic. Any thoughts? -Mike

I followed the link but I didn''t have much time too browse around. I am not familiar with the game nor did I see a good screen shot of the terrain.

One possibility is to model a 3d landscape or tile. Then capture a 2d image of it from above. Use these images in DirectDraw. Would give you a 3d feel on a 2d .bmp.
Then you would have to write a height-map algorithm. Just an idea.