Convex hull collision detection

Started by
4 comments, last by walkingcarcass 21 years, 8 months ago
i define a convex hull as any number of outward facing planes. any point below all the planes is in the volume. given two of these groups of planes, how do i tell if they intersect (no spherical approximations, please). (ideally, i would express ther positions as a function of time so that i could calculate the two instants where they toutch at precicely one point (or edge against plane, or plane against plane).)
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Advertisement
i don''t know if there is a faster way but at least this one here is 100% working:

test every vertex of object1 against every plane of object2. If all planes say the actual vertex lies behind them (that''s inside object2) you''ve got a collision. If not test every vertex of object2 against every plane of object1.

If you need the exact collision point you have to intersect a line from the old vertex position to the new one with the new plane. (old means the position of the frame before)

eloso
there are no vertices in object1 or object2, they are both groups of planes

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
Maybe a bsp tree (internally structured) would help?!?!?!?!?!
they''re changing position and orientation. the planes can change independantly.

perhaps building lines and vertices of intersection and recalculating only if the planes change relative to each other, but i dont know how to calculate those intersections

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
there is another thread on plane intersections. Maybe you want to have a look on it.

eloso

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement