3 Dimensions...

Started by
17 comments, last by fire_ball 21 years, 8 months ago
Saluk,
yes i agree with you that you can send ships flying in certain directions, or towards certain object. The real problem lies in advance manuevers, like those found during combat.

Thanks,
Fireball
Advertisement
I agree with cheese. Homeworld did a fantastic job and I''m no "hard-core simulator player". I believe Ascendancy was one of the first to use this method which is basically one click to set the x,y then another drag and click to set the z. I can''t really understand having trouble with Homeworld after more than 30 minutes...well, I''ve seen people have difficulty clicking on desktop items with a mouse so I guess I can understand (ouch, harsh comparison =p).

I''m not sure what Brian is talking about with Earth and Beyond. It''s a 3rd (or 1st) person RPG and has little to no resemblance to an RTS. There is 3D space but despite the fact that it''s height is limited it still comes with all the problems of moving in 3D.
My feeling is that if you want to make a game set in space, make it 3d. If you are even considering making it a 2d playing field, then you should ask yourself how committed you are to a space setting. Space is an inherently 3 dimensional environment, and that is what makes space based combat unique and interesting. Without that factor, you may as well set it on the ground or ocean, where operating in just two dimensions is natural (i.e., not an arbitrary limitation imposed on the player because the developer couldn't figure out a better way).
Just a thought.

[edited by - Plasmadog on August 2, 2002 10:09:50 PM]
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
How you want to control the ships depends somewhat on what kind of battles you plan to have. Right now space games do it in two general ways:

1. World War 2-type dogfighting only with spaceships instead of planes. There isn''t much to say about this, since the style''s been done to death.

2. Large naval conflicts, of which there are two general types - pre-aircraft carrier and post-aircraft carrier. Before planes were powerful enough to destroy fleets on their own, battles were a matter of lining up your fleet against the opposing fleet and turning as many guns on your opponent as you could without getting hurt yourself, then circling around and repeating until one side was sunk, retreated, or surrendered. After planes had long enough range and sufficient armaments(bombs and later missiles), ship strength lost importance and battles became decided more on stealth and surprise. The rise of submarines also had an impact on this turn to stealth, I think, but in a different way that I''m having trouble explaining.

These various methods can all be incorporated into your vision of space combat, and how important position(and hence the 3d factor) is depends a lot on the speeds at which the ships move, turn and fire, and how quickly the combat plays out. If you can strike quickly and suddenly, it''ll be more about stealth and staying out of sensor range, hiding behind asteroids and such. If it takes a long time to fight, on the other hand, then manuevering becomes essential. I dunno if that helps in any way, but it''s something to think about.

Making the world furry one post at a time
Well this game is based upon the eliment of strategy. Many games in the past have been very succesful, and not worked in the 3rd dimension; i.e. starcraft, warcraft, aoe, ...and other rts games. Now in order to maintain the eliment of strategy that everyone plays rts games for, we would gladly stick to x,y coordinates. But we think that the game would be so much better with 3 axis, so that we are trying to come up with a SYSTEM of how to make it work. So if anyone has any suggestions on such a system, please make them known =D

Thanks,
Fireball
Since everything is relative in space, make most commands work by targeting other things - "meet head on," "meet from above," etc. For space navigation, I would try doing it in two clicks, not one: The first one puts up a 2d grid which you select from, the second is to select the third dimension.
Interesting idea rtf...keep ''em coming guys

Thanks,
Fireball
RTF, I would think Space Combat would be more like submarine combat than air combat. In that stealth is the best defence, the objects inquestion are much slower than their weaponary and often single hits kill. This, however, only works if you have good ECM &ECCM biult into the game and the weapons VS hull strengh ratio is large. This is ideal for a environment where the said party has just reached space and doesnt have fancy shielding/armour.

[edited by - ggs on August 4, 2002 8:41:16 PM]
Well ggs, I would like to think that it could be a combination of both styles of combat.

Thanks,
Fireball

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement