Windows 98

Started by
14 comments, last by Blah! 24 years ago
Is it just me or does Windows 98 crash more than 95? I think its because Microsoft wanted to include IE right into the OS. I say that because everytimes Windows crashes its *ALWAYS* Explorer! I swear to god if I see the blue screen of death again today I''ll go mad >
"End Communication!", Kang from Rigel-4
Advertisement
You''re right about that. Win98 crashes loads more than 95.

Also, I''ve found it''s slower to start up, and uses a lot more memory. I only installed it because my graphics card refused to work in its native mode with 95. I guess Microsoft are so rich they can afford to make their operating systems worse with every subsequent release.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Oh, I''ve no doubt about that...

I''ve used both of them, and I know what I''m saying: the only difference between them it''s that Windows 98 uses much more memory, is slowly, crashes 5 times more... to have an ideia, one day at night it crashed 6 times in 30 minutes! (no joking)... But of course, it does have on advantage: you can now place shortcuts in your taskbar! WOW! Now that''s feature!
I noticed something VERY interesting also: one of the "features" of Win98 is the "revolutionary" FAT32... you can convert your FAT16 to FAT32 normally, but to convert it back, you have to FORMAT your HD!
I didn''t install Linux yet because I don''t want to format my HD, but as soon as I get a new HD, Windows 98 will go to hell! I''ll install Windows 95 for games, and use Linux for every other thing...
Nicodemus.----"When everything goes well, something will go wrong." - Murphy
Win98 is way better than Win95 as long as you "take care" of your system, i.e. don''t install a lot of heavy programs on the same computer. IE5, Visual Studio 6 and those big guys often don''t get along very well. That''s the bad thing about Win98. But if you are careful of what you install, it doesn''t crash often at all.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Just curious...are you sure that it is IE crashing, and not just the explorer interface? That is what always seems to crash my 98 system.....unless it just freezes......curses!

"Why am I the only one on the away team with a red shirt!?"

BASSOFeeSH
><>
-- What would Sweetness do?
Spiff - you''re probably right, but the user should be able to put anything on the machine that he has the physical resources for without wondering whether the flaky excuse for an OS is gonna choke on it.

BASSOFeeSH - in Win98, the explorer interface is quite tightly attached to IE anyway. As far as I know they moved a lot of the functionality to DLLs shared by the OS and IE to give the appearance that it''s all one application and that IE is part of the actual OS. (Of course, this is reversible if you know how.) It means little annoyances such as when IE crashes, it has to restart your desktop (ever seen that?).

Hi

Shure Windows crashes often specialy when doing heavy PRogrmming, but for me Win98 runs more Stable than Win95. There is this one big advantage, when the IExplorer crashes (which it does often) it doesn''t shoot down the Standard Explorer too. The only Problem is the high Memory use, but it definitly runs more stable on my System than 95.
(But i don''t have those heavyweight Systemkillers like VisualStudio or the Office Packet installed !)

Lars
--------> http://www.larswolter.de <---------
Hi,

Try Win NT 4 !!!
I use this OS for 2 years, and if you don''t try the hot plug&play with the video card, it run more stable than 95 and 98. Win9x have a very bad process managment : to many deadlock... And W98 more than W95 !!!
OOO O O O O OOO OOO OO OOO O O OO OO O O O O 0 0 0OOO O O O O O O O O OO OO O O O O O OOOO O O O
Windows 98 uses more memory than Windows 95 but I require it to perform better 32 bit programming for my employee. I find it to be more stable than 95. I''ve been running it at work for the last 3 months and I''ve only managed to crash it three times. (Not that I''ve really been trying). Having said I have used it also at home and found that it can crash three times in 10 minutes. It''s easier to bugger up the registry in 98 than 95 (or maybe I''ve learnt to do it better )

As to it being explorer I find that Netscape was the usual suspect if it opened to many windows. I presume you know but if you don''t try running IE in a seperate process. That should stop you system from bombing out.

Hmm...

This kind of post seems to crop up every so often and it kinda makes me wonder what I am doing wrong? Why don''t I get to have Win98 crashing 3 times in 10 minutes?

I feel so left out...

Win98 has been very stable for me. I run the "big guys" daily...Developer Studio (I regularly use pretty much all the tools), IE, and Office and don''t have any trouble except for the fact that its slow...but thats partly my fault...you see, I am running Win98 on a P133 with only 32MB RAM (no, don''t need your pity..my work machine is a dream machine).

The only time(s) I have had to reboot during a session is when I have been doing a little DirectX programming and I goof and do something stupid which causes the app to crash.

Still, it doesn''t hang the whole system, just after something like that I can''t re-initialize DirectX until I have rebooted..(funny, this doesn''t happen with OGL)

Other than that, its been pretty solid...

-mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement