try my openGL 3D pong game

Started by
36 comments, last by benjamin bunny 24 years ago
Well, if you can still find DX 3 you can implement direct input for both 95, nt
Hardcore Until The End.
Advertisement
Thanks, but I think I'll just use standard Windows input.

BTW, The game is coming along really nicely. Here's a screenshot:

Should be finished tomorrow night (GMT)*

*this is a programmer's estimate

Edited by - benjamin bunny on 4/2/00 10:47:31 PM

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Excellent game! Do you think you could get some sound effects? =)

I managed to get 157 FPS on my
733 PIII
128 Megs RDRAM
GeForce 256 SDR

Excellent job!
Provided I can work out how to use Direct Sound, the new version will have sound effects.

Edited by - benjamin bunny on 4/3/00 4:15:55 AM

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Sorry about the angry face there. I clicked the wrong button...

great game, just bells and whistles were missing ..
230fps on Celery500+GeForce DDR

-kertropp

C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad idea
C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
Bells and whistles are coming... In the latest version I've implemented a particle engine, and various powerups, including Drunk Ball and Great Balls of Fire (see pic on previous page). If anyone has any more ideas for powerups, please let me know and I might even put them in.

I'm still interested in system specs and frame rates because I'm curious to know which gfx cards aren't working and why.

Edited by - benjamin bunny on 4/4/00 9:43:47 PM

Anyone had this problem, The ball was moving fast and went THROUGH THE PADDLE, I lost dag nammit, also, Should I get 3D Acceleration?, I got 2 Voodoo2''s but maybe because there not the Primary device, Because how can a Geforce256(Great Card) get 200fps, in 2d, in Windows, is its 2D Performance really THAT good?
I''ll look into the collision detection. Its usually linked to low frame rate, so it might just be a problem with your graphics card. You see, if you have a ball moving towards the paddle at 1m/s, if the screen takes 2 seconds to update, the paddle only has is position checked against the paddle every 2 metres, and it chances are that it''ll pass right through without being checked.

Also, if Windows starts accessing the hard disk during the game, that can also cause a problem. The best thing to do if you''re short on memory is to reboot before playing, which usually stops this.

As for card frame rates, anything above about 80 fps is irrelivant because thats all a monitor can display anyway.

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

The effect you were describing is called tunneling, and its pretty darn hard to avoid with simple collision detection , good luck tho

-kertropp

C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad idea
C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement