Newbie OpenGL Question- using GLUT

Started by
13 comments, last by Fredric 24 years ago
How do I link glut to my application? To link Opengl, I simply put OpenGL32.lib , but how do I link it to GLUT? Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
You need to link agains glut32.lib in Windows. (And have glut32.dll as well.) If you don''t have it chances are you need to download it off the SGI site.
Aw cripes... I guess I don''t have it! :p where can I download it?!

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
I think this will get you to the glut site:
http://reality.sgi.com/mjk_asd/glut3/
Yay, I downloaded the files necessary, and put glut.lib, glut.dll, glut32lib, and glut32.dll in the lib section of my VC++ 6.0 files. However, I keep getting 2 errors when I try to build my project. How do I link a dll? I reckon that''s my problem...

It might help if you mentioned the two errors. But generally you need to explicitly specify the glut32.lib as a library to be linked in your link step. In Visual C++ it''s part of project properties under linker.
Yah, I already linked the glut32.lib, but how do I link the .dll seeing as you said that I need to include the dll as well?

Just stick the dlls into the same directory as the executable.
Linking against the dll is done at run-time by the OS (hence the term dynamic link library). You just need to put the dll where the OS can find it. The same directory as the executable will work and so will the windows\system directory. There are a couple of other places that the OS will search too, but I can''t remember them off the top of my head.
Okay, here is where I stand:
I put the glut32.dll in the exact same place as where my .exe would be, but I get the following message:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "glut32.dll"
Error executing link.exe.

The same place where I stuck opengl32.lib and glut32.lib, I have the glut32.dll (the linker), but I''m still having problems. Can anyone help me even more? I''m new to OpenGL- pity me!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement