DirectX Game Demo

Started by
5 comments, last by CGameProgrammer 24 years ago
I'm writing a 2D game engine called GameDude. I wrote a simple game demonstration for it; you just fly around and shoot asteroids that don't even move. Currently there's no sound; it supports it, but I didn't write the engine/DLL interface functions for sound yet. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if people would download it and report any problems. Whether there are any or not, can you post your framerate and system specs? It'll help me know if it needs further optimization. It requires DirectX 5.0 or above. Unzip both zips to the same directory and run GameDude.exe. After it loads and displays the GUI, just press Space and SampleGame.dll will be run. (I haven't added a file browser yet.) You have to right-click these links and click "Save Target As" to download the files. GeoCities doesn't allow left-clicking links to zip files. The engine, GameDude.exe, is in this zip: GameDude.zip. The game DLL, plus source code, is in SampleGame.zip. In the interest of file size I didn't include the resource data files, but that means you can't compile the code. Screenshots: ~CGameProgrammer( ); Edited by - CGameProgrammer on 3/31/00 7:30:18 PM
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Advertisement
I can''t download it dude.
Um, I'm trying to make a living here!
Right-click the links, then click Save Target As.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
When I run the application, it gives me this error about the sounds. It says its missing "GUI/sounds/Over.wav", then it exits... I have Direct-X 7.0a. Whats wrong?
Sorry about that. GeoCities is an abominably bad server -- it didn''t update the file I uploaded, even several hours after I uploaded it. So, re-download GameDude.exe from this file:

GD.zip.

It''s an updated version of GameDude.exe, plus the 4 sound files. They all go in the same directory (not the GUIs\Sounds directory).

~CGameProgrammer( );

Nice work. The game ran a 50-24 FPS on my Pentium 24MB system. The screen was dark on my computer, though. Is there going to be a gamma adjusting option in later releases?
Good idea -- I''ll add that sometime. The engine already supports screen tint by fiddling with DirectDraw''s gamma control, so adding an option to set the permanent gamma level would be easy.

~CGameProgrammer( );

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement