Surface to BMP

Started by
2 comments, last by Goodlife 24 years ago
Does anyone have a chunk of code that would accomplish the purpose of the following function? void SurfaceToBitmap(LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE, char *filename); I want to record a movie of my game action, but when I use the windows screen capture, it messes up badly. All I want to do is call that function above to dump a bitmap of the chosen surface to disk, every time I page flip. Anyone done this yet? I''m using 16 color, but I was hoping there was a way to do it with the windows API, so I wouldn''t have to muck about with pixel formats and bitmap headers. -- Goodlife ----------------------------- Think of your mind as a door on a house. Leave the door always closed, and it's not a house, it's a prison. Leave the door always open, and it's not a house, it's a wilderness-- all the vermin creep in.
-- Goodlife-----------------------------Those whom the gods would destroy, they first drive mad.--DirectX design team official motto
Advertisement
I have a bitmap saving routine that doesn''t use windows functions. I do all of the conversions for the 16 bit color and I use the bitmap headers (so I don''t know if you want it). If you want it I can send it to you (I''m at work now so I don''t have it on me).
Working on: DoP
Hey, IShadow, that would be terrific, thanks!
My email is jraptis@csmi.com!

-- Goodlife

-----------------------------
Think of your mind as a door on a house. Leave the door always closed, and it's not a house, it's a prison. Leave the door always open, and it's not a house, it's a wilderness-- all the vermin creep in.
-- Goodlife-----------------------------Those whom the gods would destroy, they first drive mad.--DirectX design team official motto
BOOL DC_ScreenShot(HDC hDC, int width, int height, int bits, char *Name){   BITMAPFILEHEADER bfh;   BITMAPINFOHEADER bih;   HDC memDC = NULL;   HBITMAP bitmap = NULL;   HBITMAP oldbit = NULL;   FILE *file = NULL;   void *data= NULL;   int bpp, datasize;   BOOL success = FALSE;   if (!hDC) return 0;   if (bits <= 0) return 0;   if (width <= 0) return 0;   if (height <= 0) return 0;   bpp = bits / 8;   if (bpp < 2) bpp = 2;   if (bpp > 3) bpp = 3;   datasize = width * bpp * height;        if (width * bpp % 4) {      datasize += height * (4 - width * bpp % 4);   }   memset((void*)&bfh, 0, sizeof(bfh));   bfh.bfType = ''B''+(''M''<<8);   bfh.bfSize = sizeof(bfh)+sizeof(bih)+datasize;   bfh.bfOffBits = sizeof(bfh)+sizeof(bih);   memset((void*)&bih, 0, sizeof(bih));   bih.biSize = sizeof(bih);   bih.biWidth = width;   bih.biHeight = height;   bih.biPlanes = 1;   bih.biBitCount = bpp * 8;   bih.biCompression = BI_RGB;   bitmap = CreateDIBSection(NULL, (BITMAPINFO *)&bih,                DIB_RGB_COLORS, &data, NULL, 0);   if (!bitmap) goto cleanup;                                   if (!data) goto cleanup;   memDC = CreateCompatibleDC(hDC);   if (!memDC) goto cleanup;   oldbit = SelectObject(memDC, bitmap);   if (oldbit <= 0) goto cleanup;   success = BitBlt(memDC, 0, 0, width, height, hDC, 0, 0, SRCCOPY);   if (!success) goto cleanup;   file = fopen(Name, "wb");   if (!file) {      MakeDir(Name);      file = fopen(Name, "wb");   }   if (!file) goto cleanup;   fwrite((void*)&bfh, sizeof(bfh), 1, file);   fwrite((void*)&bih, sizeof(bih), 1, file);   fwrite((void*)data, 1, datasize, file);         success = TRUE; cleanup:   if (oldbit > 0) SelectObject(memDC, oldbit);   if (memDC) DeleteDC(memDC);   if (file) fclose(file);   if (bitmap) DeleteObject(bitmap);   return success;}HRESULT ScreenShot(LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE surf, char *Name){   DDSURFACEDESC ddsd;   HRESULT res = DD_OK;   HDC surfDC = NULL;   BOOL success = FALSE;   if (!surf) return DDERR_INVALIDOBJECT;   ZeroMemory(&ddsd,sizeof(ddsd));   ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(ddsd);                                 res=surf->GetSurfaceDesc(&ddsd);   if (FAILED(res)) return res;   res=surf->GetDC(&surfDC);   if (FAILED(res) return res;   success = DC_ScreenShot(surfDC, ddsd.dwWidth, ddsd.dwHeight,        ddsd.ddpfPixelFormat.dwRGBBitCount, Name);   if (surfDC) surf->ReleaseDC(surfDC);   return res;}                                                              

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement