DInput and MS Intellimouse Explorer

Started by
13 comments, last by Spellbound 23 years, 10 months ago
OK, I''m sorry but I''m going to post something highly unrelated to your problem =) I''m going to purchase that mouse later today to replace my old logitech 3 button mouse, mainly because I''ve heard it''s good for gaming, and I do a lot of that. Is that the mouse to get or should I look into some other options? I have no complaints about my logitech mouse, it''s just a hassle to clean up all the little things inside, and I hate to lose an easy "snipe" while playing games because my mouse ball got sticky!

I also read on the DirectX docs that DirectInput bypasses the windows settings but it does communicate with the mouse driver, not the mouse itself, if that''s the case I don''t see how you could fix this, unless there''s a new set of drivers that has better DirectInput support.

Rick
Advertisement
Hi WitchLord, (...damn even more questions...)
- Isn''t there an upgrade orso for your IntelliPoint driver?
- What do the Intelli people say about this? (or is there no one with IQ>100?)
- Does DirectInput support your mouse?
- Can other programs/games make use of the buttons via the IntelliPoint driver?
md2ge, I highly recommend the MS Intellimouse Explorer. I''ve had mine for about a half year now, and there has never been any problem with it (except for the ones mentioned in this thread).

baskuenen, thanks for trying

There are no driver updates that I don''t have. DirectInput supports the mouse, it even reports the correct number of buttons (5). Soldier of Fortune can handle input from the IntelliMouse but I don''t know how they do it.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I got the mouse, feels very nice! Scared the hell out of me when I came back from a movie tonight and the little red light was shinning all over. I like the idea of not ever having to clean a mouse ball again but I do have a complaint, I can do without this damn wheel, granted it''s very convenient for browsing the web but it''s gonna get in the way when I play games, I haven''t tested yet but I sure hope this wheel can be set as a middle button, which I usually set for "jump", you can "click" the wheel so I''m guessing that will not be a problem. Would also be nice if the thumb button can be used in games I''ve been looking for an easy way to lay down mines =)

If they replace the wheel with a normal button this mouse would be perfect.

Rick
I happen to like the wheel myself.

A lot of people use the wheel to switch weapons in first person shooters. In some game it can also be used to zoom in and out with for example sniper rifles. Once you get used to it you find that it is actually a good thing to have. And yes it also doubles as button if you press it.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement