DInput and MS Intellimouse Explorer

Started by
13 comments, last by Spellbound 23 years, 10 months ago
My first question Have anyone managed to get the two side buttons on the MS Intellimouse Explorer to work with DirectInput? If so, how? I set the dataformat to c_dfDIMouse2 to get reports on up to 8 buttons but still the two sidebuttons don''t do anything. When I check the device capabilities it reports 5 buttons (as it should) but only three work.
Advertisement
Has anyone tried?
I have tried, and just like you I was unable to get the side buttons to work. However, when I use the two mouse examples that come with the DirectX SDK one of the buttons comes up as button 3, but the other one still doesn''t show up.

Sorry I couldn''t be of more help.
---Ranok---
Yes, I get that result too.

0 = Left button
1 = Right button
3 = Wheel button

The sample programs that come with DXSDK doesn't use the new interface that supports 8 mousebuttons though, so they cannot report the side buttons anyway.

Thanks anyway

Edited by - Spellbound on 3/31/00 12:17:45 PM
I have no answers for you Spellbound, but it is nice to see that saints sometimes need to look upon the mortals for their wisdom..

In other words, I''ve seen you give informative replies so many times but never a post.

I salute you!

Matt

If I were rich, I'd buy myself some real friends!

I''m just a hobby developer like most of the members here. I may have come a bit longer than most but I''m no expert.
Well, seeing as how I have little experience with DirectInput, this is totally conjecture, but have you tried after shutting down IntelliPoint? Maybe it''s doing something stupid like intercepting the clicks and translating them? (Would kind of make the "Direct" part of DirectInput seem pretty lame if that were the case...)
Thanks, that was it.

I missed it since I reasoned liked you did, that DirectInput should get the input from the hardware and not from IntelliPoint. But now that I think of it IntelliPoint is the mousedriver and DirectX communicates with the drivers and not the hardware.

When I turn off IntelliPoint the mouse buttons get the right values as well:

0 = Left button
1 = Right button
2 = Wheel button
3 = Large side button
4 = Small side button

Edited by - Spellbound on 4/5/00 11:12:17 AM
I''d like to help, but I have little experience with DirectInput, and I have no Intellimouse.

Maybe after setting this at the top of the list - someone must know !

Maybe if I told them the question they might be able to answer, don''t you think?

This is something that I haven''t thought of lately, and as you can see above I have solved the problem partly. What I would like to know now is how I can bypass the IntelliPoint drivers so that I can use all five buttons on the IntelliMouse without manually turning off IntelliPoint first. Do any of you know how this can be done?

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement