• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flintlock

Unlocking the Primary Surface

This topic is 6774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am learning DirectX, and I have run into yet another problem. In my Game_Main function, I have the improper data type for my primary_buffer. The thing is, this code is identical to code from Windows Game Programming For Dummies. Andre'' LaMothe''s code worked perfectly when I copied/pasted it. But, when I rewrote it to use DirectX 7, it didn''t like it anymore... here is the function... // game_main ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// int Game_Main(void *parms = NULL, int num_parms = 0) { // this is the main game logic, do all processing here // test if user is pressing escape and send WM_CLOSE if (KEYDOWN(VK_ESCAPE) // KEYDOWN(VK_SPACE)) SendMessage(main_window_handle, WM_CLOSE, 0, 0); // set up the surface description to lock the surface memset(&ddsd, 0, sizeof(ddsd)); ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(ddsd); // lock the primary surface lpddsprimary->Lock(NULL, &ddsd, DDLOCK_SURFACEMEMORYPTR / DDLOCK_WAIT, NULL); // get video pointer primary_buffer = (UCHAR *)ddsd.lpSurface; // copy each bitmap line into primary buffer, taking consideration of non-linear // video cards and the memory pitch lPitch for (int y=0; y < SCREEN_HEIGHT; y++) { // copy the line memcpy(&primary_buffer[y*ddsd.lPitch], // destination address &bitmap8bit.buffer[y*SCREEN_WIDTH], // source address SCREEN_WIDTH); } // unlock the surface lpddsprimary->Unlock(primary_buffer); // return success or failure return(1); } /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Sorry if it is out of line... The compiler says Unlock() can''t change UCHAR * to tagRect *, or something of the sort. Can any of you Guru''s help me out?

Advertisement
lpddsprimary->Unlock(ddsd.lpSurface);

I think you have to cast it to do it from your pointer...?

Edited by - vallis on 3/30/00 6:44:37 PM

Edited by - vallis on 3/30/00 6:47:05 PM

Isn''t it:

DDSPrimary->Unlock(NULL);

I don''t have my code with me right now, but I''m pretty sure you unlock with NULL.

The object knows where it''s lpsurface is...inside itself, so you shouldn''t have to pass a parameter to a member function that belongs to the same class/struct.

Does that make sense? I hope I''m not off on that...I''m pretty sure that''s how my code is(and it works);

asmLOCK - you are right, I always do it the way I said because I think it just makes the code more readable?

Oh well...it works my way at least.

If you unlock by passing the pointer to the surface, you have to cast it I think...not too sure...trying to remember from a book I read about 6 months ago

Yes, that is understandable. And Thanks a lot! I can understand DirectX to a certain extent, but there are a few things I have to iron out. Don''t really know what casting is yet, and basically I am trying to remember all the function calls and what not. I''ll get better with time. Thanks a lot guys! Your help will only allow me to learn more...

Oops... I made the call the way you guys said, but I still got errors. So, I did a little more searching my source... and I found that the parameters in my function definitions were wrong. It''s fixed, and all works right, but it gives me a "This program has performed an illegal operation" whenever I close it out... That''s strange. Do you recommend any books for advanced win32 api topics? like how to make a toolbar, dialog boxes and all that?

I can''t really recommend any books on api stuff, cause I use Borland C++ Builder...which sort of allows me to cheat and get by without knowing all that stuff.
However, I would like to try to help in any way I can.

I''d like to see the code that''s causing the trouble maybe.
You can email me or whatever or post it here if it''ll fit.

asmlock@aol.com

When life hands you lemons, throw them at God's head.

Visual C++ Windows Shell Programming taught me much of what I know about Win32. Some very interesting topics in it to. From Dialog creation to Hooks and even changing the picture on the side of the Start Menu.

ISBN : 1-861001-84-3

The thing is that you need a pointer a a RECT structure and not a pointer to the surface... if you''ve locked the surface with a NULL (which basically means that you allow the whole surface to be drawn on), then you should unlock it with a NULL... If you have any other questions let me know...

Hope this helps!

..-=ViKtOr=-..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!