• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kill

[java] good java tools?

This topic is 6763 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I downloaded sun''s SDK... It''s great, but it''s extremely annoying to manage all the stuff through DOS prompt. Can someone give me a URL to a (prefferably free) good tool I could use, that would manage workspaces, run the compiler, etc... Thanks.

Advertisement
make batch files. or shell scripts if you''re on *n*x. What do you mean by "manage all the stuff" The only thing I do is
javac something.something
and
java something

ususally I have 2 dos windows open and I just alternate between them hittiing F3 to re-enter the last line.

Don''t you use doskey? Just hit up to scroll through your stuff. Does anyone know if Win95 has tab competion like NT? Man, that was sweet. Just like unix.

Anyways, anyone try Forte for Java? Is that Java Workshop 3? I tried it but it was so slow that I just went back to my trusty text editor. Didn''t know java could be so slow. Too bad cause it''s such a good IDE...

Sun Forte is great for laying out applications but is generally a pig when it comes to managing resources. It crawls on my Celeron 450MHz with 128MB of RAM and a 20GB 7200RPM disk.

I switched back to JBuilder Foundation 3.5 after just a few hours of playing around with it. At least JBF supports the null layout manager :p which I can''t live without despite what people say about it. JBF is still slow when compared to say Visual Studio but it''s the best IDE available for Java at the moment. It does seem to have a bug when it comes to aligning braces though. But nothing''s perfect =)

I generally use netbeans X2 for laying out aplications and GUIs, but for other types of programming it''s PFE32.

Great. Is it any better than JB3 native windows ? And do you think it is extensible enough to make it work with the Kiev language/compiler ?

Thanks in advance,
David

Symantic Visual Cafe 3.0 is downloable from the net. The trial version there is a full version (with time limit).

Contains an efficent native code compiler. (Yummy!)

B.Sc. Jacob Marner
Graduate Student of Computer Science, The University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
http://fp.image.dk/fpelisjac/rolemaker/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!