What is the difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Started by
10 comments, last by compfanatic 24 years ago
I have Visual Studio and was wondering what the differences between Visual C++ and C++ were. Thanks
I looooove programming! Even at my young age.
Advertisement
keyword: Visual
C++ is simply C with some more advanced stuff, while Visual C++ is a totally different system that deals with Windows instead of just DOS, which is usually what just plain C++ is done in.
Correct me if im wrong, i just always thought of it that way
"Visual C++" is the name of Microsoft''s C++ compiler/ide/linker/and so on... It could be called a collection of programs.

"C++" is a programming language. Think of "Visual C++" is just a name.

You can do console programs with Visual C++ not just Windows programs (but that what it''s usually used for).

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
visual C++ is a ''type'' of c++. like Turbo C++, or Borland Builder. its just a program. C++ is a *Language*, like BASIC. i guess you could compare the situation to BASIC (the language), and a BASIC compiler, like QB v4.5. hope that makes sense.
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future. Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present.
C++ is a language, there is a standard version called ANSI (American National Standards Institute) C++, which is the standard that most compilers follow.

Visual C++ is the name of Microsoft''s compiler, it uses the ANSI standard as to most other compilers (Turbo C++ from Borland, C++ Builder also Borland, and quite a few others)

The "Visual" in Visual C++ is a catch word used to say that it can handle developement for a GUI environment (using graphics and windows compared to the console style of DOS)

Don''t let this fool you, other compilers handle devlopement for windows, (Like the above Borland compilers) but there is no standard for it.

Warning, this is getting a bit ahead but, for windows there is the Win32 sdk, the names of functions and structures stay pretty much the same from compiler to compiler. But, each compiler may differ because there is no true standard (like there is for the C++ language itself) Microsoft uses MFC as its "visual" element in the language to handle semi-rad developement of windows apps. Borland uses its own set of functions and libraries.

In short Visual C++ is not a seperate language, but rather the implementation of Microsofts version of C++. (But since they support the ANSI standard, if you know ANSI C++ you can use it, and most other compilers, just not the GUI portions, just the console elements)

Hope this clears it up
-Omalacon
It should probably also be noted that C++ is much more than C. Here's what C++ has to offer:

- Object Orientated Paradigm   - Classes      - Data and operation encapsulation       - Data and operation hiding & protection (not security)   - Inheritance of base data and operations      - Multiple inheritance   - Polymorphism      - Operator and function/method overloading      - Virtual methods (RTTI)   - Parameterization      - Template functions and classes      - Orthogonal decomposition of object space paradigm   - Run Time Type Identification (although, limited)   - Exception handling   - Name spaces   - More strict type checking (prototyping, casting, etc.)   - Inline functions/methods   - Constant data types   - Referential variables   - Ability to declare variables anywhere in a scope   - Better memory management   - Better commenting 

Just a few things that came to mind... I may have missed something. So don't think of it as *just* C with a *few* extra things. Check it out!

- Jesse

P.S. Had to fix the formatting ;-)

Edited by - CodeDemon on 3/31/00 1:32:47 AM
I have seen books like "Learn C++ in 21 Days" and "Learn Vislual C++ in 21 Days," so what is the difference. These books are the reason I asked this question in the first place.

Thanks
I have seen books like "Learn C++ in 21 Days" and "Learn Vislual C++ in 21 Days," so what is the difference. These books are the reason I asked this question in the first place.

Thanks
The visual C++ will teach you to program windows applications while the C++ book will teach you how to program ANSI C++ which is operating system independant. I would suggest learning the latter before the former as Microsoft tends to confuse things with their use of main, and the message queue functionality. C++ will teach you object oriented methodology. Visual C++ will teach you how to make a windows application assuming you know a little more about C++ and its nuances. C++ covers the C++ language in more depth. Visual C++ covers programming for Windows more in depth while sacrificing some of the more advanced features of C++.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
The "Learn Visual C++ in 21 days" book will teach you how to use the program Visual C++ (and probably som Windows programming too), while the "Learn C++ in 21 days" book will teach you the programming language C++.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement