How many combinations?

Started by
22 comments, last by Gandalf 21 years, 8 months ago
Thank you very much sir! That was a comprehensive inquiry of the subject! Now I´m entirly convinced that it will go well to use this set of masks for my game. Now it´s time to start coding
Gandalf the Black
Advertisement
In a rpg tile engine I was working on a few months ago used a 16 combo based on binary numbers.

At first I was working with the 8 point system (like you guys), but figured out after a week that would take to long, so I started on this 4 point system. It uses only 16 total different tiles that can be supressed to this: and be loaded, rotated, and stored when a map loads. I ended up with 40+ pages of notes on tiles and spent a month on the math and finding the best method to have the editor choose tiles correctly. I got it working mostly, but there were some errors with using differnt types of land on other than grass. I gave up a few months ago to start on something new.
I can upload the last version of that editor to my site if you guys would like to see it.
I wish I found this site earlier! Would have save me tons of time to do things like homework and not nearly not graduating from HS.
[sorry about any grammer and spelling errors. my father is trying to get me away from the computer now.]
Josh

[edited by - simrct on August 14, 2002 12:12:01 AM]
"Speak softly and carry a thermal nuclear device."
Here was how I numbered mine.
1--2
|--|
8--4

so tile 3 would be
1--1
|--|
0--0

and tile 5
1--0
|--|
0--1

and 14
0--1
|--|
1--1

My frist way was like this
1--2--4
128----8
64-32-16
but the number were quite high and made a very large number of tiles needed.

My idea was to take 3 numbers (shape, base color, transiton color, plus some others about the tile set), get one number that can be save to a map file, then load and use that number from an array and get 2 numbers (row,col.) from the tile set surface.

[edited by - simrct on August 17, 2002 4:23:22 PM]
"Speak softly and carry a thermal nuclear device."
Here is a picture of my terrain mask in progress...

Looks nice ? :=

[edited by - Gandalf on August 19, 2002 7:46:35 PM]
Gandalf the Black

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement