Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

helpOnDelete

Help on delete operator

I''m kind of new to C++, I might not know all the terminology, but here goes. Please help if you can. I have a class called Attribs, with protected member temp_proj. In a fuction, I did this: Attribs* multiProjections; multiProjections = new Attribs[2]; then: for(int i=0; i<2; i++) multiProjections.temp_proj = new string[6]; when i call delete, will the following suffice: delete [] multiProjections; // deletes everything or must i add this before the above call to delete: for(int i=0; i<2; i++) delete [] multiProjections.temp_proj; i ask because when i add this, this causes a lot of problems! i can''t test whether .temp_proj is deallocated because multiProjections is gone. i read somewhere that the delete operator and inheritance cause a lot of problems. if you can help please do!

Yes, you must delete the dynamically allocated array. You're getting errors because you didn't specify which multiProjections to delete the array from.

Change:

for(int i=0; i<2; i++)
delete [] multiProjections.temp_proj;

To:

for(int i=0; i<2; i++)
delete [] multiProjections[ i ].temp_proj;

*EDIT ARG! I thought |i| was disabled!

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader's Realm

[edited by - Invader X on August 11, 2002 8:02:22 PM]