Basic texture theory question

Started by
0 comments, last by nosajghoul 21 years, 8 months ago
Ive been studying DX for awhile now, and Im confused on something. First, the facts as I understand them (correct me if im wrong.) 1) texture images have to come in a size of a power of 2. (2, 4, 8, 16, 32 etc... pixels wide/high) 2) Its a bad idea to have textures above 256x256, as some cards dont support 512x512 and up Which leads me to my question : suppose I have a mesh thats not perfectly square, like a long spaceship, how do I go about surfacing it? It needs to be fairly detailed (large map),and the part of the texture that ends up beyond the edge of the mesh seems to be a waste of memory since its not seen. I suppose I could surface it with alot of smaller textures, but how many textures is too many to have on screen at once? Out of curiosity, how many textures does unreal tournament or dungeon siege have going on at once?? -Jason
normal_toes@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Hi, the requirment for square textures is a limitation of the video card. You need to check if the card handles ones that are not square - most do nowadays. Similarly the limit in size is due to old video cards and is probably not an issue nowadays. The textures being a power of 2 is still pretty prevalent on GeForce cards anyway so you need ot stick with that.

If you need to have a larger texture just change the u,v co-ordinates to look into the texture, you can even combine a few together this way,

cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement