Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WilliamsMA

C# with DirectX, AppWizard, etc.

Has anyone tried to use C# with DirectX? It doesn''t seem Microsoft has any info on their web site. And, was interested if there was a DirectX AppWizard as their is for VB & C++. Thought it might a good way to get practice with C# without getting bogged down in C++. Thanks,

Microsoft''s telling people not to use C# or VB.NET to code for DirectX 8.1. There''s too many things that are broken be C# and VB.NET as far as DirectX support and you''d basically have to rewrite a large number of functions and interfaces to get it working.

DirectX 9 will have full support for C# and VB.NET as well as a full compliment of samples, help files and wizards. Should be out Novemberish.

Well said.

Actually - DirectX 9.0 WILL be mostly integrated with managed code (exception: parts of DirectShow).

And it works like a charm - look forward to get access to is.

MS is right, btw - access to Dx 8.1 s totally broken :-)

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Thanks for your replys. That helps a lot and means I can end my search and look forward to DirectX9.

The issue came up because I teach an "Intro to 3D Graphics Programming" course. Many students want to know about games programming, so I was prepared to introduce OpenGL or DirectX. But the audience consists of C++, C, Java and even VB programmers. C# appeared as a good compromise language.

Thanks for the help.

Mitch