Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hello2k1

Callback functions & class members

Well basically what I want to do is have a callback function point to a class instance function. I know that I could just put a static prefix on the function which I want to call back, but unfortunately in my case I can''t change the class in any way. A friend of mine advised me to pass the class instance as the first parameter, and just cast the function into the callback, but the compiler seems to have a problem with the conversion. For example: class CClass{ public: void function(); } void main(){ CClass class; void (*callback)(void *); callback = class.function; callback(&class); }

Hi

your friend was right, you can''t do this without a class instance, but you don''t need to pass it, you need to call the callback from the class instance.
Do it like this:

class CClass{
public:
void function();
}

void main(){
CClass class;
void (CClass::*callback)(void);
callback cb = class.function;
(class.*cb)();
}

this should work

------------
Runicsoft

Woot! It compiled, thanks. Time to get down to applying it...

Edit: How would I be able to do this without defining the class type? eg. I don't know it's CClass, I just know it's some class.

[edited by - hello2k1 on August 11, 2002 7:11:16 PM]

That isn't possible as far as i know.
A little possible workaround is to have a virtual base class and derive from it.
If you typedef the functionpointer to the base class you can call it from class instances derived from the base class.
Like this:

#include <stdio.h>

class BaseClass
{
public:
virtual void function() = 0;
};

class myclass: public BaseClass
{
public:
void function()
{
printf ("hello from myclass\n");
};
};

class myclass2: public BaseClass
{
public:
void function()
{
printf ("hello from myclass2\n");
};
};

typedef void (BaseClass::*CALLBACKFUNC)(void);

void main()
{
BaseClass* obj = new myclass;
BaseClass* obj2 = new myclass2;
CALLBACKFUNC cbf = obj->function;
(obj->*cbf)();
(obj2->*cbf)();
delete obj;
delete obj2;
}

the output is
hello from myclass
hello from myclass2

so you only assign the function pointer once, and you can call it from any instance of a derived class. I'm not sure if there might be problems with multiple inheritance or something, but at least the example works

------------
Runicsoft

[edited by - Burning_Ice on August 11, 2002 8:05:43 PM]

Yea, I was thinking about that.. but changign the class/function in any way just isn''t a choice. However, I may be able to include the class. I''m going to have to finish planning it out, then I''ll get back to you.

Thanks for your help.