Help what should I do?

Started by
7 comments, last by Robjohnno 21 years, 8 months ago
Well basically I know absolutely nothing, and Im here to ask, how?, well what I mean is what I want to do is learn a language to take a leap into game programming of the such, however what language should I learn to get into this, I know I sound like a complete n00b coming here making it sound like a complete breeze to learn this stuff, however I would like to know which language is the best due to the fact that I dont want to start learning a language to find out a few months down the line that its not the right one for me, etc.... I thank you for any input. Rob Johnson.
Advertisement
Go to the For Beginners forum for these kinda questions.
I learned it like this:
-C++ console
-C++ consolefunctions (with handles)
-C++ W32 how to make a basic window
-C++ DirectDraw
-C++ Direct3D still doing.

-------post error log---------
::2::times::

.lick
well, you do sound like a n00b, but you seem to be willing to learn, which is good.

I started out with the 32 bit version of winoot, but that was a school thing. It did, however, help me get a feel for programming languages. After that, i decided to move onto C++, but, i was a n00b too, so i tried to make an MMORPG.

Also, i have some experience with qbasic, but thats not so big.

So i would say, start off with a couple of C++ books, because although it can get complicated, its very versatile.

KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES!
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Choosing a language depends on you:

Do you find it hard to understand even some absolutely beginner code when you look at it?
Can you understand advanced stuff easily with just looking at some code samples?
Do you want the language to be as easy as possible to use?
What kind of programming style do you like (since you are still beginner, you might not know the answer for this)

First try to learn some *programming* fundamentals and then try all kind of languages and decide what is best for you.

About the languages: (not in any particular order)
--------------------
Assembly :D (always worth learning)

C++ - someone might say it's hard for beginners

C - Someone might say it is hard for beginners

EDIT! good thing about C and C++ is that there are probably more C and C++ tutorials in the net that any other language tutorials and that many companies use it for developing

Pascal - easy to beginners

Delphi (Object Pascal) - Easy for beginners and really easy and fast to do Win32 stuff

Perl - What a great language that is :D

Java - never tried myself

Basic (Visual Basic these days definetly) -ultimately easy to beginners. No need to start worrying about advanced stuff right away

Of course there are many more but that's a list of what I would say to be the best ones to learn... note! it's JUST my OPINION...

[edited by - angelhart on August 11, 2002 5:26:27 PM]
Sorry for posting this in the wrong bit, also
answers to angerheart:
1. not really I had a little past experience with c n c++ i found it quite easy yet a little challenging but thats what I like, a nice challenge/mind boggler.
2: I can understand fairly advance things, I''ve been told Im very good at maths (I think that would help), I can think and plan ahead alot and remember this stuff, and if not I have the insentive to write things down
3: I want a language which is very powerful yet easy to use, and is useful, also a language in which I can mod a game with.
4:huh? I dont really know what that means sorry.

Well heres the answers how did I do?
Its always fun taking the first step into programming, assuming you don''t step into the deep end.

I suggest starting out with something like QBasic ( www.qbasic.com i THINK), then moving on to Visual Basic, finally ending in C++.

More Broken down..

QBasic
-Simple math program. (Just simple ''ask a question, get an input, add the two together.)
-Text input/saving, ect.
-Graphical (Not real graphics, just colored lines and stuff)

Visual Basic
-Simple math program
-Advance on that math program
-Keep advancing until it can do everything the windows math program can do

C++
-You should know what to do here by now.

This should take a month or two if your fast and have alot of spare time, but no matter what you do... Stick with C++, and if the above languages (All free, minus VB which is $70 or so, but just spend the extra $100 or whatever it is for Visual Studio) don''t interest you, look on ''Yahoo!'', for other languages.
---Looking for a new gaming experience? Want something new that deals with everyday life. Ever wanted to be a thief, banker or a cop? Then come visit the newest thing in gaming today: Lejendz!
Other hosts turn you down? Need good tech support, excellent up time, and affordable prices? Come to cheapunixhosting.com/ to find a package right for YOU!
Well after reading this info it sounds like c++ is the way forward for me, I might learn qbasic first I think ive delved into that once along time ago, it was ok but too bland and basic for my likings, I want a changleng but nothing that i will find impossible, so I think C++ is the way for me, thank you
i''d say go C/C++, you''ll only restrict your conceptual thinking with BASIC and VB stuff - it''s a lot different in C++.

Game Programming All In One teaches C++, Windows programming w/ it, and DirectX basics all very well and I believe is a good choice to start out.
quote:
Robjohnno wrote:

Sorry for posting this in the wrong bit, also
answers to angerheart:
1. not really I had a little past experience with c n c++ i found it quite easy yet a little challenging but thats what I like, a nice challenge/mind boggler.
2: I can understand fairly advance things, I've been told Im very good at maths (I think that would help), I can think and plan ahead alot and remember this stuff, and if not I have the insentive to write things down
3: I want a language which is very powerful yet easy to use, and is useful, also a language in which I can mod a game with.
4:huh? I dont really know what that means sorry.

Well heres the answers how did I do?

Well, those were ment for rethorical guestion for you to ponder...

Anyway I wonder why you even asked the guestion, obviously you have already some experienced with C and C++ and I bet you'll do great with your knowledge and skills.

The only problem is, should you start with C# immideately (I just read an thread about it well, I'm still going to do plain C++ as long as I can...)

oh, and the name is angelhart

[edited by - angelhart on August 12, 2002 5:56:27 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement