Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TetsuoAkira22

MMORPG programming = impossible?

I was kind of curious about how many lines of code the online part of creating a game would be... Last time I asked my programmer if he''d do it, he went insane and threatend to quit if he had to do it... Is it THAT hard!? If so/if not, where can I get some tutorials on it, so I may take the task on myself... Right now we''re using OpenGL in C++, using Visual C++ 6.0 to compile it as well. Thanks in advanced for the help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I assume from the subject topic you are doing an mmorpg The actual network communication is not that hard...at all. However, if you want the mmorpg to handle thousands of players, you have to plan the infrastructure very carefully, which includes databases, failovers, and being very careful about which data needs to be transmitted.
As far as the networking is concerned, there are some good tutorials on this site, such as Beej''s Guide in the multiplayer articles section. Lost Logic''s book "Multiplayer Game Programming" Is also quite good for mmorpg stuff (seems to be the main focus of the book in a round-about way )

I''ve found MMO programming to be pretty easy. Once you get the network code figured out it''s just like coding a non MMO version of your game.

You can get my Winsock class in the DevZone under the tutorials section. It''s TCP/IP only but it will get you going. It''s fully buffered so you don''t have to worry about partial packets or multiple messages per packet.

It started off as the source from the tutorial from Gamedev but that tutorial has some bugs in it. My version is cleaned up and vastly improved.

You can also download the client and server for Gang Wars which uses DirectPlay. You can get a good idea how to create an efficient messaging system with that source even if you use Winsock.

Using a database like mySQL is really nice but you can get away with just using files.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]

On the simplest level, basic MMORPG network coding is no different from coding a 2-user chat client. So it''s not that hard to get working. The only real problem is that the simple designs don''t necessarily scale all that well, so you may have to make some changes in the unlikely event that you do manage to get hundreds of players simultaneously.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

What about them? It''s no harder to render a 3D mesh to the screen just because it happens to be controlled by a human in Arizona instead of a computer AI script.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

For things like player positions you may want to spend some time investigating things like Dead Reckoning. Altough, this is more for after you have the basic network layer in place.

------
Andrew