• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DevLiquidKnight

What should i look into for this ?

This topic is 5791 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a game engine and i want to add in effects such as explosions. Warps and cool lil animation effects such as fog ect into my 2D game engine made in DirectX 7.0. Where can i find info on how to make the effects like explosions and stuff i know in opengl there is a thing called a "partical system" same type of idea but i dont know how it works in directx

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
you''d have been better off if you used directx 8 it has much better particle type support, i''m not sure if directdraw has it at all...

hello

a particle system is not specific to any one API like openGL it is a general term. even under directX a particle system would be used to produce effects such as fire...smoke and what ur talking about.

ive never used directdraw but i figure it should work like this.
-load in an image that ull use for your particle enfine..say 16x16 fancy star or something.
-once this image has been loaded in you duplicate it as many times as you want. say for a spark effect you generate about 50 duplicates.(now remember for a spark effect you have teh sparks comming out of the source just once, so you wouldnt need to go into a loop of constantly creating new particles (particles meaning our spark)) instead just release all the sparks at once.
-once they are all released you can calculate their position over time make them move each frame.
- and if u want u can have them change color over time, and then you should have them fade to Alpha (0) so that it looks like they dissapeared.

do a search on google or over here in the forums or in the resource section. i =think= there was a really good article on particle systems on gamasutra.com

Al

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!