Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fisheyel83l

Game Menus - General Questions

I was building a Menu class the other day, and I ran into some problems. I figured a "menu" had to have a background pic (or a string to hold an image filename), and an array of objects that the user can maniplate (buttons, etc.). I planned to create an array of these Menu objects to represents all the "menus" in my game, like the title screen and the options screen. My problem: I constructed an array of RECTs to represent clickable areas on the menu (like the buttons), and then passed this array to the menu object via a function call. My code didn''t compile, because I couldn''t find a way to dynamically assign one array to another. How can I allow an array of any size to be passed? My Menu class looks like this: class CMenu { public: void SetRects( RECT rectArray[5], int numRects ); //Don''t want to hard-code that "5" public: char* file; RECT clickableAreas[5]; // <-should be a pointer to a RECT? // Again, I don''t want to hard-code that "5" }; void CMenu::SetRects( RECT rectArray[5], int numRects ) { //What can go here? Right now, I copy element by element, but I''d rather just rearrange pointers so that clickable areas points to rectArray, regardless of its size. } As you can probably tell, I don''t have a firm grasp of pointers, but I know they''re the answer to my problem. Any suggestions?

Hmm I think this might help.

void CMenu::SetRects ( RECT *lpzRc, int izNum )
{
for (int i = 0; i < izNum; i++ )
{
clickableAreas.left = lpzRc->left;
clickableAreas[i].top = lpzRc->top;
clickableAreas[i].right = lpzRc->right;
clickableAreas[i].bottom = lpzRc->bottom;
}
}

I hope that helped. Basicly you have a point to a RECT that way you can pass in any amount of RECTs. Even a array of them. Just be sure to watch out that you don''y go over the array limit. Using a point is better in a way because when you only going to use part of the object you passing, a point will only make a reference to that part and use. Rather then pssing the whole damn object or what ever on the stack. I think I got that right?! You might want to look for some pointer tutorials. Because pinter are cool and you can do lots of thangs with them.
I hope I helped some what. Good luck.

Some mods...

void CMenu::SetRects ( RECT *lpzRc, int izNum )
{
delete[] clickableAreas; // Delete any old stuff
clickableAreas = new RECT[izNum];
memcpy(clickableAreas, lpzRc, sizeof(RECT)*izNum);
}

should work...

Johan Ersvik

typedef vector RECTS;
RECTS m_rects;

CMenu::AddRect(RECT _rect) {
m_rects.push_back(_rect);
}

CMenu::DrawRects() {
RECTS::const_iterator end = m_rects.end();
for(RECTS::iterator cur = m_rects.begin();cur!=end;++cur) {
DrawRect(*cur);
}
}

about this.. stl is good for dynamic data amount.. i''ll suggest you give it at least a try.. (and here the documentation of everything..: http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/table_of_contents.html)

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for the link, davepermen. One more question: Do I have to change any of my variable declarations? Right now both arrays are declared like this:
RECT variable[5];
What should they change to?