Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zip7000

define a array in a class

hi, I am a beginner in c++. I created two classes: Ant and Nest. the relationship between these classes are the following. A nest HAS A set of ants. So I have to add a member which represents this ''set of ants'' in the nest class. right? my question is how can I represent this set? I think that an array of 200 elements(=200 ants) could be the solution. But what is the best way to define the member of Nest: 1 - create an array of 200 hundreds ants -> Ant ants[200]; 2 - create a pointer to an array of 200 ants --> Ant* ants[200]; 3 - create a pointer to a ant. Ant* ants; other ??? what the constructor of ants should look like to? If you have somothers suggestion don''t hesitate. thank you zip 7000 ps : perhaps I did some mistakes in my explanation. Don''t hesitate to tell me.

1. hmm... for beginners... I would suggest ant[200] as it is the simplest (no pointer to shoot your feet) .

2. If you already understood pointers well enough, go for *ant.

3. If you are going to store derivatives of Ant class, say WorkerAnt or ArmyAnt, but not so pointers-friendly... then go for *ant[200].

4. If you are under (2) and (3), you may go for **ant

5. If you in (4) and know STL.. go for std::vector<Ant*> ant.

Just my suggestion.

quote:
Original post by zip7000
2 - create a pointer to an array of 200 ants --> Ant* ants[200];

I can never remember the exact declaration rules, but I don''t think that does what you think it does. I''m pretty sure that''s declaring an array of 200 Ant pointers, not a pointer to an array of 200 Ants.

You can''t declare a pointer to a fixed array size. A pointer is dumb, it doesn''t know whether it''s pointing to 1 thing or an array of a billion things.

USE A std::vector ! The standard template library''s vector class is much easier, safer, and more usable than using C++ arrays! You can readjust the size of vectors any time, and they offer bounds checking if you want. Here is how to use them in a class

#include <vector>

class Nest
{
// other stuff here
private:
std::vector m_Ants;
}

// constructor
Nest::Nest() : m_Ants(200)
{
// other inits here
}

// now just act like it was a normal array with
m_Ants[10]; // access 11''th element

Its that easy! If you want to learn the more complex aspects of vectors, just search google.

Because DanG didn''t use source tags ([*source][*/source] without *), one of the most essential bits of that code is messed up.

std::vector m_Ants;
//is

std::vector<Ant> m_Ants;

------------
Where''d the engine go? Where''d it go? Aaaaaah!!
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155