Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ktron

c++ DLLs

hey, I got a couple questions regaurding win32 c++ DLLs. first, I can create dlls in c++, right? i''ve seen a couple articles that said I can''t but I''m pretty sure you can, right? second, i have a bunch of internal classes within other classes but I don''t want to expose all of these? I can do this by just setting the class member to private, correct? thanks, Kevin

If you''ve got Visual C++ you can create dll''s very easily, just create a new dll, there are some sample functions and classes to show how programming works too.

Yes, you can set the classes within the class to be private members, so they can only be accessed by methods within the class itself.(wow, that''s a lot of class)

''first, I can create dlls in c++, right? i''ve seen a couple articles that said I can''t but I''m pretty sure you can, right?''

I''ll let someone else with better knowledge of DLL''s answer your second question, but the articles are essentially correct. Core C++ has no concept of a DLL, that''s strictly a windows thing. Using the Window''s headers however allows you to create a DLL (so theres support for it under any compiler that has support for windows).

Writing such functionality into the C++ standard however would be counterintuitive (since it would either mean a.that C++ would only support Microsoft enviroments or b.that C++ would need to be hugely bloated to take every possible OS system structure into account -- which is a near impossible task anyway).

HTH