Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MindWipe

De-compiler? Is ther one?

If the creator din''t post his source code, thismean than he do not wish to have pepoles play (or copy) his code. I think you should respect their desision.

Im not sure you will like to have someone use the code you pass hours of hard work programming with-out your permission.

If you can''t make your own code...maybe you should not try to be a programmeur!

Delisk

There are other uses for a decompiler than looking at other peoples source code. For example, if you''ve lost the source to a program/game that you made but you still have the .exe you could use the decompiler to get at least some of the source back.

/. Muzzafarath

Why, because you have little respect for people who work hard and try to make a living? If a person does not want their source code published, then you have absolutly NO right to steal from their program.

--TheGoop

I agree with some of the posts here that say that stealing code is wrong(duh!). But I have run into several incidents where I have asked the creator of a game for the source and got something like "I''m sorry, I lost the code. I only have the .exe. Sorry I can''t help." A decompiler does not have to contribute to piracy, it could actually be a useful tool.

However, to answer the original poster''s question, I don''t know of any decompilers out there. It makes perfect sense that one would be released, but I don''t know of any out there. And, if you''re good enough, you could make one yourself . There''s a challenge!

Good luck!

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London

"It's not whether I win or lose, as long as I piss you off"
-Morrigan, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

The reason that "decompilers" aren''t standard stuff that come with compilers are that they would take a lot more effort to do than the actual compilers, and they still couldn''t be very accurate (remember, when you look at your program''s EXE file, you DON''T see the nice names of the variables and procedures as strings in there). So, the original source code is pretty much the only option.

the problem is that there are SO many different ways to do the same thing in C++, VB, etc., that the decompiler wouldn''t know what to do when!
thats why any decompiler decompiles into assembly: assembly only has one way to do each thing (most of the timer: yet anothe problem ).

Guest Anonymous Poster
MASM 6.1 will decompile....
I dont belive in Source tampering either so dont take this the wrong way, there are uses for them other than just tampering

I don''t know any decompiler but if there''s one, you will lose all comments, variable names, names of functions, ...
So try to get the original code because it''s much more easy to read ;-)

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA @ Rarebyte

Yes, there are several De-compilers out there. I can''t tell you, where exactly, but I have one for Visual Basic up to version 6.0; where did I get it? I bought a hacker-tools cd. Well, I used it only once (because I wanted to try it on one of my own programs), because I''m a honest programmer and I wouldn''t like it, if anyone stealed my code, too.
But be warned: The De-Compiler uses standard-variable names such as "string1", "string2" and so on...
The same is for the functions and procedures. You can believe me: It''s no good using it, because the code is that difficult to read, that it is easier to write it yourself

I have been programming in Turbo Pascal for 5 years. I also have experiences with Delphi, Turbo Assembler and C++. Now I''m trying to improve my Windows-based programming. This is a big change, since I was a DOS-Programmer ;-)

I did a search on askJeeves. Got a lot of decompilers.
Actually, I did the search because I was wondering if I wrote a Java Applet, could someone decompile it and get the source. Yup. Java actually stores the variable and routine names with the compiled applet! So if you want your code secured, best to keep it in C++. (I did find decompilers for C++ too, but I''m sure they create vatiable names like "a","b","c",etc.)

E:cb woof!

I wish they''d just have a version that didn''t store the names. Maybe the compiler could store them as "a","b",etc to make it more difficult to understand. But nomatter what, java is an interpreted language and will always be able to be decompiled.

One other reason why compilers aren''t popular is that ( and I got into a big discussion over this with another coder ) decompilers don''t re-create any functions. They put gotos everywhere. The code looks like one function. ( That other coder, that I mentionned earlier, was talking to was trying to tell me that good coders used GOTOs in their programs because he had seen the source of DESCENT and it had GOTOs. )

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
Two Guys Soft

I used to work at this game company that made a 3D shooter for Macintosh. The game came out just as Mac started shipping the Power PC chip. Being an entirely different set up form the 68K, there was a problem with it and Power PC users had a significant performance problem in some conditions.

A few weeks later, someone posted a note on usenet saying he had a patch for the problem. Of course it wasn''t authorized by the real company, but it worked and Power PC guys were once again able to play the game w/ no problem. His patch worked so well, that the company actually called him and offered him a job in the Mac programming group.

True story of how someone was able to do good things with a disassembler. Just thought I''d share. --Nolan

Yeah, when you look at Mac assembly, you''ll notice they store the routine names inside the assembly code. Or they''ll name the "CODE" resource the routine name.

I know some people who used a dissasembler to create a program that lets you run a "multi player on one computer" game over the web without modifying the game. Pretty cool.