De-compiler? Is ther one?

Started by
18 comments, last by MindWipe 24 years ago
I don''t know any decompiler but if there''s one, you will lose all comments, variable names, names of functions, ...
So try to get the original code because it''s much more easy to read ;-)

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA @ Rarebyte
Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.stGA
Advertisement
Yes, there are several De-compilers out there. I can''t tell you, where exactly, but I have one for Visual Basic up to version 6.0; where did I get it? I bought a hacker-tools cd. Well, I used it only once (because I wanted to try it on one of my own programs), because I''m a honest programmer and I wouldn''t like it, if anyone stealed my code, too.
But be warned: The De-Compiler uses standard-variable names such as "string1", "string2" and so on...
The same is for the functions and procedures. You can believe me: It''s no good using it, because the code is that difficult to read, that it is easier to write it yourself

I have been programming in Turbo Pascal for 5 years. I also have experiences with Delphi, Turbo Assembler and C++. Now I''m trying to improve my Windows-based programming. This is a big change, since I was a DOS-Programmer ;-)
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
I did a search on askJeeves. Got a lot of decompilers.
Actually, I did the search because I was wondering if I wrote a Java Applet, could someone decompile it and get the source. Yup. Java actually stores the variable and routine names with the compiled applet! So if you want your code secured, best to keep it in C++. (I did find decompilers for C++ too, but I''m sure they create vatiable names like "a","b","c",etc.)

E:cb woof!
About the Java storing variable names... The newest javabuilders uses scramble algorithms to make it harder to "de-compile" the app. It isn''t perfect yet, but what is?

I wish they''d just have a version that didn''t store the names. Maybe the compiler could store them as "a","b",etc to make it more difficult to understand. But nomatter what, java is an interpreted language and will always be able to be decompiled.

One other reason why compilers aren''t popular is that ( and I got into a big discussion over this with another coder ) decompilers don''t re-create any functions. They put gotos everywhere. The code looks like one function. ( That other coder, that I mentionned earlier, was talking to was trying to tell me that good coders used GOTOs in their programs because he had seen the source of DESCENT and it had GOTOs. )

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
Two Guys Soft
[Cyberdrek | ]
I used goto''s when I was about ten. I have stopped doing it since then.
I used to work at this game company that made a 3D shooter for Macintosh. The game came out just as Mac started shipping the Power PC chip. Being an entirely different set up form the 68K, there was a problem with it and Power PC users had a significant performance problem in some conditions.

A few weeks later, someone posted a note on usenet saying he had a patch for the problem. Of course it wasn''t authorized by the real company, but it worked and Power PC guys were once again able to play the game w/ no problem. His patch worked so well, that the company actually called him and offered him a job in the Mac programming group.

True story of how someone was able to do good things with a disassembler. Just thought I''d share. --Nolan
Here''s a good decompiler with which I''ve had personal experience:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bridge/8617/jad.html
Yeah, when you look at Mac assembly, you''ll notice they store the routine names inside the assembly code. Or they''ll name the "CODE" resource the routine name.

I know some people who used a dissasembler to create a program that lets you run a "multi player on one computer" game over the web without modifying the game. Pretty cool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement