De-compiler? Is ther one?

Started by
18 comments, last by MindWipe 24 years ago
Is there a decompiler? And if so - where?
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Advertisement
You could use a disassembler, but it''s not fun to go from code back to assembly, trust me. You''ll have an easier time trying to get the source code from the creator.
- I kode kuz I kan!
If the creator din''t post his source code, thismean than he do not wish to have pepoles play (or copy) his code. I think you should respect their desision.

Im not sure you will like to have someone use the code you pass hours of hard work programming with-out your permission.

If you can''t make your own code...maybe you should not try to be a programmeur!

Delisk
There are other uses for a decompiler than looking at other peoples source code. For example, if you''ve lost the source to a program/game that you made but you still have the .exe you could use the decompiler to get at least some of the source back.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I really don''t like you Deli.....

Why, because you have little respect for people who work hard and try to make a living? If a person does not want their source code published, then you have absolutly NO right to steal from their program.

--TheGoop
I agree with some of the posts here that say that stealing code is wrong(duh!). But I have run into several incidents where I have asked the creator of a game for the source and got something like "I''m sorry, I lost the code. I only have the .exe. Sorry I can''t help." A decompiler does not have to contribute to piracy, it could actually be a useful tool.

However, to answer the original poster''s question, I don''t know of any decompilers out there. It makes perfect sense that one would be released, but I don''t know of any out there. And, if you''re good enough, you could make one yourself . There''s a challenge!

Good luck!

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London

"It's not whether I win or lose, as long as I piss you off"
-Morrigan, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
D:
The reason that "decompilers" aren''t standard stuff that come with compilers are that they would take a lot more effort to do than the actual compilers, and they still couldn''t be very accurate (remember, when you look at your program''s EXE file, you DON''T see the nice names of the variables and procedures as strings in there). So, the original source code is pretty much the only option.
the problem is that there are SO many different ways to do the same thing in C++, VB, etc., that the decompiler wouldn''t know what to do when!
thats why any decompiler decompiles into assembly: assembly only has one way to do each thing (most of the timer: yet anothe problem ).
MASM 6.1 will decompile....
I dont belive in Source tampering either so dont take this the wrong way, there are uses for them other than just tampering

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement