Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Merwin van Dijk

allocate templated classes

I''ve made a templated class ''CBasicDraw'' it can draw pixels on the screen in 8, 16, 24, 32 bpp. I want to make a windowed direct X program. This means that I have to find out the pixel format during run-time. This is no problem I know how to do this. But it also mean that I must make a ''CBasicDraw'' object and during run-time let determine with which sort of variables it is templated. I''ve thought about the following opportunitie:

CBasicdraw *g_lpScreen;

void InitGame(){
  // code where I can determine the bpp

g_lpScreen =  new CBasicDraw<char>;
}

Above is just a simple example but I want to know if this is a correct way to solve the problem.

quote:
Original post by Merwin van Dijk
I''ve made a templated class ''CBasicDraw'' it can draw pixels on the screen in 8, 16, 24, 32 bpp.

So what''re the template parameters?
quote:

Above is just a simple example but I want to know if this is a correct way to solve the problem.

Not enough information. If the template parameters can only be determined at run-time then no. A template *must* be instantiated at compile-time, which means you have to have all the relevant information at compile-time.

Also, you have a syntax-error in your code:

CBasicdraw *g_lpScreen;

You must specify the template parameters for the CBasicdraw class here. I think what you''re saying is that you can''t because you don''t know them, in which case it shouldn''t be a templated class.

The above code was more a guess how I could solve this problem.

The more important code of CBasicDraw:

// basicdraw.h

//

//

#ifndef __basicdraw_h__
#define __basicdraw_h__

template <typename var>
class CBasicDraw{
protected:
DDSURFACEDESC2 m_ddsd;
long m_lPitch;
var *m_lpsDest;
public:
CBasicDraw(){
INIT_DX_STRUCT(m_ddsd);
m_lPitch=0;
m_lpsDest=NULL;
}

void DrawPixel(int x, int y, var color){

m_lpsDest[m_lPitch*y+x]=color;
}

var GetValuePixel(int x, int y){
return m_lpsDest[m_lPitch*y+x];
}

BOOL Lock(LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE4 lpdd){
BOOL ok;

ok=SUCCEEDED(lpdd->Lock(NULL, &m_ddsd, DDLOCK_WAIT, NULL));
m_lPitch = m_ddsd.lPitch/sizeof(var);
m_lpsDest = (var*)m_ddsd.lpSurface;

return ok;
}

BOOL Unlock(LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE4 lpdd){
return SUCCEEDED(lpdd->Unlock(NULL));
}

void DrawLine(int x1Dest, int y1Dest, int x2Dest, int y2Dest, var color){
// a lot of code

}
void DrawRectangle(RECT rDest, var color, BOOL fill=0){
// a lot of code

}
};

#endif

It''s true that I don''t know the template parameters for the CBasicDraw class, I can only determine them during run-time.
What if I template only the neccesary member-functions and not whole class? Ofcourse I have to change the implementation of serveral functions but do I solve the problem with way?

What if I declare the g_lpScreen pointer like this:

void *g_lpScreen;

// and later in my code use something like this:

g_lpScreen = new CBasicDraw<char>

Is this a valid to solve the problem? I just keep asking because I still didn't receive anu replies to my last message..

[edited by - Merwin van Dijk on August 15, 2002 5:49:51 PM]

Var could be an ''unsigned char'' (BYTE), ''unsigned short'' (WORD) or ''unsigned long'' (DWORD). This 3 types respectively can hold the value of an 8, 16, 32 bpp color. I''ve never thought about how this class would use 24 bpp colors. Maybe I use specialized templated member-functions to solve this problem.

Guest Anonymous Poster
templates are for compile-time polymorphism;
inheritance is for run-time polymorphism.

You can''t get around this fact unless you hack around it with a void pointer (at which point you might as well chop your whole leg off now to avoid shotting yourself in the foot later).