Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guppy

Dev. Team Software....

Im not realy sure if this is the rigth forum for this question - but anyways.... For the final project (before we graduate) our group has decided to make a tool to make it easier for people in different physical locations to share the same code. atm. the system consists of a server that keeps track of who is writing on wich pice of code (the code base is shared on methode / function level - this may change to class level at a later point if the other proves too dificult or unesscary). We are ofcourse aware of the fact that this is not a new idea, so we would like to know is this: 1) What software have you used? (cvs,....) 2) What made you prefear it over the other software avalible? 3) If anything what did you feal was missing (feature wise) ? 4) If a new an better system was avalible (and you were to use it) wich would suit you better?: a) That it came with its own IDE b) That it came with an open network standart (alowing you or the makes of your favorite IDE to enable support) c) That it came as a seperate progeam that just fetched the files you requested.... (please do not reply to this thread unless you have some experience (as a user) with this type of software) Thank you for your time! Guppy (on behalf of Developer Team CodeShare)

Ok, here we go:

1) What software have you used? (cvs,....)

PerForce, SourceSafe (in various version,s including SourceOffSite).

2) What made you prefear it over the other software avalible?

I currently use SourceSafe - actually price reasons. We are looking / investigating into what might come there as a next version. I dont say I like it particularly.

3) If anything what did you feal was missing (feature wise) ?

Client/Server architecture :-)

4) If a new an better system was avalible (and you were to use it) wich would suit you better?:
a) That it came with its own IDE

Are you joking? I mean, we talk about basically a v ersion control system. If it has it''s own IDE - take it ang go home.

b) That it came with an open network standart (alowing you or the makes of your favorite IDE to enable support)

What open network standard, please? I mean, there is no standard for this functionality :-) The closest I got to a standard is the SourceSafe provider INterface on windows (SCC)

c) That it came as a seperate progeam that just fetched the files you requested....

No. Unless it FULLY integrated into the IDE it is not worth considering. It should, btw, also integrate into as many "mainstream" programs as possible. At least the MS OFfice Suite.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

quote:
Original post by thona
[...]
b) That it came with an open network standart (alowing you or the makes of your favorite IDE to enable support)

What open network standard, please? I mean, there is no standard for this functionality :-) The closest I got to a standard is the SourceSafe provider INterface on windows (SCC)
[...]
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Well ehrm.. maybe that was a bit unclear what I meant was that the spec for how to comunicate with the server was made publicly avalible (like with telnet/ftp/http)