Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roka-tarat

"Totally" platform-independent

Hello, I''m starting a new project (for windows), but I want to port it to MacOS and MacOS X (at least). What libraries do you recomend me? For graphics I''ll use OpenGL, but what about sound, keyboard, mouse and joystick? Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english, Marc Casas

if it aint gonna have to be 3d write it in java 2, graphics are slightly slower than non directx windows, sounds are possible.
there''s even a directx like library from sun available now for most platforms. search for it at java.sun.com.

good luck

i think sdl supports good stuff for you. the same gl initialisation code, unified system messages/system polls for keyboard and mouse, and some sound features (and there are extensions to sdl for networking and such stuff, thought i don''t know how supported they are..)

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

quote:
Original post by roka-tarat
[quote]Original post by dalleboy
You could use OpenAL for the sound/music.

Yes, I know OpenAL, but it seems an "abandonated" project... The last update is from January, 2001...

OpenAL "ownership" has moved to Creative.

http://developer.creative.com/

is openAL really abandoned? and if so, isnt it good enough in its present form anyway? I know sdl has sound, but openAL has 3d sound which makes it more comparable to directx sound. Also, ive seen that creative sound cards support openAL(according to their site). I was planning to learn openAL soon, but i really dont know too much about it yet. can anyone who uses say something about this?

There''s not much new development on OpenAL because it is
done , finished . It is very usable at its
present state. Until there''s plan for OpenAL 1.1, there''ll
probably be little new changes. Creative Labs is still
maintaining it. It''s not abandoned.

*** 500 Internal Server Error ***

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

Perfectly! I''ll use OpenGL for the graphics and OpenAL for the sound... Is there any OpenInput library, or I must code a wrapper for DirectInput, InputSproket and another for MacOS X? Well, it won''t much difficult to do... :D

Thanks a lot, people!

GLUT works just fine for me. I think too many people
underestimate the usefulness of GLUT or they hear from
someone else that "GLUT is no good" and they shy away
from it before even giving it a try. It''s a shame, really.

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

Guest Anonymous Poster
For sound, you may also want to look at Fmod. It already works for windows, linux, ps2, and xbox, and the next version will be out soon with mac support. The beta for mac is already out.The project is definately active and the support is great, direct from the creator himself. www.fmod.org

Karg

oh yeah, it does 3D, too.