Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSnake

What to learn?

i''d really like to get into programming games but i can''t seem to choose what kind of language to learn. I''ve already taken al these classes in high school: Visual Basic 6.0 Visual C++ 6.0 Applications in C++ (MFC) AP Computer programming (C++) And i''m taking java next year. I''ve looked at some OpenGL coding and realized it would take a while to learn. I was told to stay away from directX. And other told me to learn Flash, Shockwave, Java Applets, and other online things. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Heres my 2 cents:

With that background, I see no reason why you shouldn''t be able to learn OpenGl in a reasonable time. Of course it will take some time, but then again anything will. Java may be easier to do some graphical programming in, especially if you want to get a head start on your class.

I also don''t really see any reason to stay away from directx, unless you want to program for platforms other than windows.

I am experianced in all the languages you listed, I would suggest learning to program games in C++. VB has way to much overhead, as it is a interperted language. Also if you want as much speed as possible stick away from MFC. Java is a good language but if you want to do some really cool 3D stuff then that lanuage will not fit as well (Although still learn it, the more languages, the better!). I don''t know why somone told you to stay away from DirectX, I use it (Direct3D) and find it to be a very powerful API. About OpenGL looking like it will take time to learn, it will! If you are serious about game programming you have to be ready to invest a lot of time. If you are a profficient C++/Windows programmer then you should pick up a book on either DX or OpenGL. If not make some games in DOS just to get you started, then learn Windows and a Graphical API. I hope this answers your question, good luck!

I agree, learning OpenGL won''t be that difficult with your previous background. However, when you go to make a game, I wouldn''t reccommend using Visual Basic, unless it''s a space invaders/arcade type of game. Why were you told to stay away from DirectX?

Whoever told you to stay away from DirectX obviously doesn''t know much about it and had a bad experience with it, back in its API <= DX 7.0 days. With DirectX 8, Direct3d is almost as simple and easy to use as OpenGL, and is arguably better for creating Windows games (although both are undeniably good APIs).