Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheTempest

Which book should i buy?

Hola, I''m looking for a book to buy to help me learn how to write a multiplayer game. These are the requierments that i want out of the book: 1. Winsock (not directPlay) 2. Win32 (not console) And thats all, thx for your reply

Guest Anonymous Poster
Multiplayer Game Programming teaches both WinSock and DirectPlay, and it uses both Win32 and console.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Take note however that multiplayer game programming does NOT teach UDP at all, only TCP. It also features very little information on synchronisation issues such as dead reckoning etc.
However, as a resource for winsock TCP it is reasonable, and as a resource for DirectPlay it is quite good. It also contains sections on DirectX Graphics, DirectInput, and DirectAudio, giving you everything you need to create a multiplayer game from scratch.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It is a good beginners book, but does not have a lot to offer an experienced game developer that is looking for a lot of detail in the way of creating multiplayer games.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
It is a good beginners book, but does not have a lot to offer an experienced game developer that is looking for a lot of detail in the way of creating multiplayer games.

Yep, what he said.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming
Author, Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9 (Not yet released)

Lostlogic''s book is your best bet if you want to learn how to use DirectPlay but if you
want to go with pure Winsock, you have to get Andrew Muholland and Teijo Hakala''s
Developers Guide to Multiplayer Games published by Wordware. I have both books
and they both play an equally important role depending on what I am trying to
achieve ^_^.

Guest Anonymous Poster
"It would be cool if someone published a "Multiplayer Game Programming Wisdom" (ie. ref to AI Game Programming Wisdom) type book that contained a similar style to the above mentioned book." <-- Hint, Hint!
Seriously though, i think it would be a good idea, some in depth articles on dead-reckoning, interpolation whatnot, some broader topics on ways to minimize bandwidht and such.

For Win32, I recommend "Programming Windows - 5th Edition" by Charles Petzold. It''s a big thick hardcover book from Microsoft Press, and what many windows programmers consider the bible of windows programming.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
"It would be cool if someone published a "Multiplayer Game Programming Wisdom" (ie. ref to AI Game Programming Wisdom) type book that contained a similar style to the above mentioned book." <-- Hint, Hint!
Seriously though, i think it would be a good idea, some in depth articles on dead-reckoning, interpolation whatnot, some broader topics on ways to minimize bandwidht and such.

What a great idea.

Now if only there was someone in this forum who knew a lot about network programming, and had published a couple of books who might want to take on such a project.

Oh well, I guess the chances of someone with both of those under their belt happening by are pretty slim ... :-)

Alan

quote:
Original post by AlanKemp
What a great idea.

Now if only there was someone in this forum who knew a lot about network programming, and had published a couple of books who might want to take on such a project.

Oh well, I guess the chances of someone with both of those under their belt happening by are pretty slim ... :-)

Alan

Possibly after I get done with my current book.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming
Author, Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9 (Not yet released)

[edited by - LostLogic on August 22, 2002 10:39:44 AM]