c++,game dev wanna be,help

Started by
2 comments, last by SpeedAlive 21 years, 8 months ago
Im a complete newbie! I took a couple programming classes about visual basic. What is c++??? Its a programming languauge? is it the main languages that would get me into the gamming industry? How do I get started?? Do I have to learn this to be a level or story designer for video games? what do I need to know about that??? Im a highschool senior and I wanna start learning how to excel enough to get into the industry! And whats a demo reel?? Is c++ a program? Is it downloadable? Is there anything on the net that will teach me the complete basics and how to do c++?
Advertisement
Before this gets locked...

For beginners
How did you find this site?
Anyway I'll try to answer you questions:

quote:What is c++???

It is a programming language.

quote:Its a programming languauge?

Yes

quote:is it the main languages that would get me into the gamming industry?

Yes, if you know it well.

quote:How do I get started??

Start Here

quote:Do I have to learn this to be a level or story designer for video games?

If your a level designer that has to build a level editor, probably, unless you use Visual Basic or Java etc. For a story designer, no.

quote:what do I need to know about that???

About what?

quote:Im a highschool senior and I wanna start learning how to excel enough to get into the industry!

Good, I wish you luck.

quote:And whats a demo reel??

I'm not sure what your refering to, can you give an example?

quote:Is c++ a program? Is it downloadable?

No and No, you can download a free compiler at: DJGPP and a free IDE at Dev C++, a compiler is a program that just compiles a source file you write in notepad, or any other plain text editor. An IDE is an Integrated Developing Environment, it includes an editor and a compiler, usually, and you can run you program with just one click. The most popular one is Visual C++ 6 or .NET, but those cost a pretty penny.

quote:Is there anything on the net that will teach me the complete basics and how to do c++?

Look Here

Hope I answered you questions, I'm sure others will have other things to say.

[edited by - ElCrazon on August 12, 2002 4:39:34 PM]
This is good advice and enough said. Good luck SpeedAlive, and please do check out those links. If you have a game idea you''d like to talk about, feel free to post in this forum (just check the FAQ first to be sure).

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement