AutoRun

Started by
5 comments, last by PmanC 21 years, 8 months ago
hey... how would i get an app to run when windows starts? i was thnking of editing autoexec.bat. is that the best way of doing it or is there a better way.
Advertisement
Put a shortcut to the program in the StartUp folder off the Start menu.
put it in the program files -> startup

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft
i never thought of that... thanks -PmanC
The registry is another option. To get there open the run dialog (Start->Run) and type ''regedit''. From there you will see a windows explorer type interface. From there go:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
From there add a new entry by right clicking on the right window and make a new string value. Choose a name (It doesn''t matter) Then double click on the string and type the absolute path of the program. Now it will run whatever program you specified at startup.
Look on www.planetsourcecode.com they have some wonderfull code. Ive seen this on the site.
--------------------------Nukemmsn: nukem996@hotmail.comaim: nukem996open source open mind
Just thought I''d also mention, all of the above comments only start the application when a user logs in. Not when windows starts. That can be a major difference. If you want the app to start before a user logs in, look into making a service. And look forward to pain you never knew possible
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement