Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradDaBug

Getting a web site

OK, lets pretend I made a game. This game is 5 MB all packed up. Folks download it, play it, and if they like it they register it and the rest of teh game is activated via registration code. But first I need to put this game on the internet. Here''s the problem. A free web site usually only allows 1 GB/month of traffic, which would mean folks could only download my game 200 times. Kinda puny. And BTW lets just ignore the T1/T3/OC12 options here. Way outa budget. So lets say I decide to give this free web hosting service $5/month to double my bandwidth to 2 GB/month. That''s still only 400 downloads, ignoring the bandwidth used by the webpage itself! But perhaps we can mirror our game. But the only mirror I can think of would be Fileplanet (but I personally HATE Fileplanet, mostly because I have to wait in line and they have NO servers anywhere near me!). So what is a poor guy like me to do? I''d hate for people to try to come to my website and see a "THIS USER HAS EXCEEDED THEIR MONTHLY ALLOTTED BANDWIDTH" message. How embarassing.

Make 200 1GB a month sites... *Grins Sadisticly* That makes 40000 a month, good yes. Your best bet is to buy a Domain then to route it to your home IP. Then you have unlimited DLs per month. Although this may get you banned on some ISP. Also find people (Like Gamedev) who will you host you game free of charge.

that home IP thing would work, except that I''m capped at about 100 Kps upstream (though it seems more like 20) and I have a dynamic IP that changes every week or so.

I love Comcast so much!

A search on google turns up...

http://www.fg-a.com/webhosting.html

I use my schools, but I cannot do it for web commerce, so I''m searching for something cheap right now too :-P

Its just another way of realising that if you can knock another 500k off the size of your game somehow, yu end up saving yourself money as well as getting more downloads. Ive made 10MB games that have sold a dozen copies and 2MB ones that have sold hundreds, and I''m sure size has been a factor, as well as letting me host the 2MB file myself, while the 10MB games cost me a fortune in bandwidth (and probably lsoe me money).
Make small games kids!

http://www.positech.co.uk

Make small demos. Increase the compression on all media files for the demo to keep the size down. With the full version use higher quality media files. On the site show off the visual difference if they purchase the full version.

If you''re essentially giving people the full version for free you''re wasting bandwidth by giving 100% of the people 100% of the product while 90% or more won''t ever see 50% or more of the product. If you''re using codes, have a restricted access portion of your site that uses the code to allow the download of the full product.

It costs ~50 cents to produce a CD, label and jewel case. Depending on where you''re mailing it to, the post office can ship a CD from anywhere to anywhere in the US for about a $1. Make it an option to buy the physical media.

Also, if you''re trying to make money it''s better to spend some money and not use free hosts so you have a more professional look which is important when people are deciding whether or not to send you money.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]