Getting a web site

Started by
9 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 8 months ago
OK, lets pretend I made a game. This game is 5 MB all packed up. Folks download it, play it, and if they like it they register it and the rest of teh game is activated via registration code. But first I need to put this game on the internet. Here''s the problem. A free web site usually only allows 1 GB/month of traffic, which would mean folks could only download my game 200 times. Kinda puny. And BTW lets just ignore the T1/T3/OC12 options here. Way outa budget. So lets say I decide to give this free web hosting service $5/month to double my bandwidth to 2 GB/month. That''s still only 400 downloads, ignoring the bandwidth used by the webpage itself! But perhaps we can mirror our game. But the only mirror I can think of would be Fileplanet (but I personally HATE Fileplanet, mostly because I have to wait in line and they have NO servers anywhere near me!). So what is a poor guy like me to do? I''d hate for people to try to come to my website and see a "THIS USER HAS EXCEEDED THEIR MONTHLY ALLOTTED BANDWIDTH" message. How embarassing.
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Make 200 1GB a month sites... *Grins Sadisticly* That makes 40000 a month, good yes. Your best bet is to buy a Domain then to route it to your home IP. Then you have unlimited DLs per month. Although this may get you banned on some ISP. Also find people (Like Gamedev) who will you host you game free of charge.
that home IP thing would work, except that I''m capped at about 100 Kps upstream (though it seems more like 20) and I have a dynamic IP that changes every week or so.

I love Comcast so much!
I like the DARK layout!
try d2g.com or zoneedit.com, both let you use ur home pc like a web server,and support dynamic ip.
Hack into a random server and store your file there...
Try getafile.com

They charge based on the amount of bandwidth used, and it seems like a lot less than your free host would charge.

Alex McAndrew
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
A search on google turns up...

http://www.fg-a.com/webhosting.html

I use my schools, but I cannot do it for web commerce, so I''m searching for something cheap right now too :-P

~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
http://hostonce.com

EDIT: clickable

[edited by - eagleboy on August 14, 2002 9:54:55 PM]
Submit your game to free download servers, like FilePlanet, Download.Com, ZDNet, etc..
Its just another way of realising that if you can knock another 500k off the size of your game somehow, yu end up saving yourself money as well as getting more downloads. Ive made 10MB games that have sold a dozen copies and 2MB ones that have sold hundreds, and I''m sure size has been a factor, as well as letting me host the 2MB file myself, while the 10MB games cost me a fortune in bandwidth (and probably lsoe me money).
Make small games kids!

http://www.positech.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement